My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all: brand new to this forum. Spend most of my time with the green machines, but the other day, on a whim, I picked up a used ford LGT 145 off CL. Runs great - Kohler K321 engine. Hydrostatic hi/lo range. Looks like it even had a hydro hitch at some point. I'm thinking I'd like to restore this beast but can't find much online for parts, info etc. Did find an operators manual on ebay but its not here yet. Anybody on here got one of these things? Anything I should know about them? I suspect they were made by Jake back then - no? Thanks!!

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kingwood990: any info helps - this machine has the same engine as the JD140 which is what caught my interest - 14HP flat head single - somebody put a TSC stack on it and welded it to the manifold so that will need some work to retro - may have to leave it on for now - does sound pretty cool. Looks like this tractor was set up to take a 3pt hitch or sleave hitch at one time - does your 990 have this feature? Also has some creep in the hydro but so do most old JD's so I know how to fix that (maybe). . . I'll post some pics when I get it dug out from under the snow we got last night!

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 990 has the 3pt hitch. It can lift 500 pounds. If the transmission linkage is anything like the 990 it is simple to adjust.
Here is a picture of the 3pt hitch. If you need a more detailed picture let me know.

Reactions: Ray Zierle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kingwood990: Thanks for the pic - your 990 looks like a tank - my 145 came with 23x10.5x12 turfs - your tires look bigger than that? A close up of the 3-pt attachment on yours would be great if you get a chance to send one. I have hitches on my JDs but I don't think thay are universal -
What engine does your 990 have?
Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is where the 3pt hitch attaches to the axle. The tabs and axle housing are cast iron. The tabs are known to crack so keep an eye on them.

This is the rod that goes from the rock shaft to the 3pt hitch arms. It goes from the middle of the tractor to the 3pt hitch arms.

These are the arms.

These are the 3pt hitch arms.

This is the 3pt hitch arm with the rod that goes to the rock shaft attached.

And to answer your tire question the tires on the 990 are 27x9.50x15.
Here is a picture of one next to a 23x10.5x12.

The engine in the 990 is a 16 horse Briggs and Stratton single cylinder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent pics!! Thanks so much for these - looks like I have parts missing but I bet I can fabricate those long rods from a pair of JD brake rods and the ends off a JD mule-drive. I see you have spacers on the liftarm tabs at the axle. I assume this is to help prevent the cracking you spoke of?
Does yours take a conventional cat 0 top link? Do you have attachments for yours? I have all sorts of JD cat 0 stuff and am hoping it will work on Ford when I get the 3pt figured out.

BTW: I see you also have a sears gt/11 = there is a sears GTV 16 in my area for $175 - looks to be complete w/deck - 16HP B/S twin. Am thinking about grabbing it for another project but haven't looked it over yet - might turn out to be a belt drive I fear, which would not interest me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The spacers are there to keep everything strait. With out them the arms move side to side more. I do not know if they help prevent cracking.

The 3pt hitch is cat 0 the JD cat 0 attachments should work. Right now I do not have any attachments for the rear but do have a mower.

The sears is belt drive. In fact all sears garden tractors are belt driven except the FF super garden tractor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nother tire question - if you are using 27 9.5 15 tires on back what are you putting on the front? My ford is speced in the op manual at 16X6.5X8 but it seems to ride really low to the groud with these

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am also running 16x6.5x8 tires on my 990 and my John Deere and I have zero ground clearance problems. They are the stock size tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Kingwood990:p well I hit my first real problem with the ford 145 today. Got it all tuned up and serviced, new battery etc. but when I started snooping underneath to see about adjusting the hydro linkage, i discovered that the lift cylinder is leaking badly - can't tell if its a coupling or the ram. What type of tranny fluid do you use in your 990? Stuff in my ford looks like JD hygaurd.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use type F ATF in my 990. Depending on the year the manual calls for different fluid.
Heres a list of fluids and years.
1972-type A or F ATF
1973-type A or F ATF
1974-type F ATF
1975-type A or F ATF
1976-20wt
1980-20wt
1983-20wt
1984-20wt

I do not know the type of fluid for the other years but 20wt and ATF are about the same viscosity. JD hygard can be used as a replacement for the ATF because it is the same weight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The lgt145 is doing great so far - spent most of the winter refurbing it - rebuilt the lift cylinder, put new ags on all 4 wheels, bought a pair of 50lb jake weights for it off ebay, found a parts tractor in PA with a 3pt hitch and rear PTO on it. Same guy had a 36" tiller for it. Painted up all the tin work - still needs tail lights and a new seat - I've found where to get both but NOT CHEAP!! so i'm holding off on them for now. Can't wait to actually get the tiller in the ground soon! I've also got 8" 10" and 12 moldboard plows I'd like to try running behind it.

So now, not only do I have green fever but blue strain too! Just got a newere closed sided lgt165 last week - needs lots of work - OH BOY!!

Parts and stuff are hard to find for these machines but they are avaiable. Go to ebay and search of "ford lgt" and you will find a few things. There is also a ford/jacobsen collectors group over on yahoogroups - got lots of good info there. Good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glad to here the LGT145 is doing well. It is awesome that you are finding parts for it too. I can't wait to see this tractor after all the work you put into it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Kingwood - your posts early on in this thread were very helpful getting me started - i knew nothing about the ford lgt family when I got started with this one. I will be sure to post pics of the final product.

Dobbsfamily: I think you can still get deck bearings from New Holland dealers but probably not the tierod - i gave my rolling frame from the parts tractor away so I can't help you there - sorry

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Kingwood - your posts early on in this thread were very helpful getting me started - i knew nothing about the ford lgt family when I got started with this one. I will be sure to post pics of the final product.

Glad I could be of help. Can't wait to see this machine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts