My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a forum search and couldn't find the answer. I have a toro 20007 with a tecumseh lv195ea. I start the mower and then oil starts leaking out of the exaust. I called a dealer and he wouldn't really pinpoint what the problem was but he said something about the carberator. Could it be bad rings or a bad valve? This is the way I was thinking. How can oil get into the cylinder and out the exaust without by passing a valve or rings. Thanks for any imput!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Hello and welcome to MLF.

Just to verify, you know for sure its oil and not gas thats been sitting in the muffler? Reason I ask is if you have a bad needle and seat it will leak as far as the exhaust and mix with the sooty carbon inside the muffler and blow out when you start it.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Also, If you have bad valve seals or bad rings, so far in my experience, I have not seen so much oil go by as to leak out of the muffler. Usually in those scenarios it would just smoke a lot on start up or just smoke all the time. Mosquito control style smoking :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears to be oil, thick, but it's very dirty. I took the engine apart and am rebuilding it. I thought it might have been a valve or ring but they appear ok. I never did smell it though. I start it and then it stalls a minute later spewing the black substance out of the exaust and then will not start again. I have to wait for a while to try to start it again. If it is the carb, should I replace it. I have seen aftermarket ones as low as $15.oo plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If you can get the correct carb for $15, I'd say go for it. Other wise rebuild kits can range from $12 to $25+. You can end up rebuilding one for more and if you miss something in the rebuild, just multiply your efforts x2.

What you described there with the starting and stalling sounds like an open needle valve in the carb, like its flooding. Remember to check the float, it could be bad too. I had a craftsman walk behind that did exactly what your describing and I found out the brass float had a leak. Thanks for the update and keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
It Definitely sounds like it's getting flooded with fuel.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.