My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am just about to begin renovation for the old Norlett lawnmower from early 1980s, and i am going to put new engine to the old good body. I got this lawnmower for free, and it was going to the scrapyard. It was sitting and waiting long time outside, under the rains and other things. Then i got the change to have this lawnmower to my house and i started to look about what i just got. Well the engine was too far gone, it was 3,5hp B&S engine vertical pull start. The mower was once "self-pulling" via front wheels, but now there was nothing left this system on the body, just some extra holes and brackets. Also there was extra axle coming out from the engine, for the front wheel pulling system via chain. Also the mower is once re-painted, but the paint itself is not so good, and color is not for my taste. But body itself is good, nothing broken, very strong and good body. So i took the old engine away from the body, and went to the garden tools-shop, to ask new engine. They got one, really really nice Brigg-Stratton Classic 3,5hp (engine is made 2006) and it was last this type engine in the shop. I was very happy that i could buy this engine, because i like more these old flat-head type engines. About my plans now, i am going to clean the body, paint it with some similar color that Norlett used to use these lawnmowers back to the late 1970s or early 1980s. Also i will use primer of course under the main paint. Also i will check carefully if there is something that need to repair on the body, and i am ready to repair if need. When all paintwork is ready, i will attach the new engine to the body. Right now, i am not sure if the new blade i bought, fit, but if not, then i can use old blade, which seems to be just fine condition, just some sharpen will need. I will add project photos to this thread, when i have something new to show. Today i took firsts few project photos, the firsts small parts getting the primer, photo about the mower-body which is waiting cleaning, and also photo about the new engine which is waiting also. This project will be my winter project, so i have no hurry, and i try to do good work. I will not reach professional level finish, but i will do my best. Really happy to save one old lawnmower.

Brown Furniture Table Amber Wood

Wood Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

Camera accessory Gadget Digital camera Automotive design Audio equipment

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Some update related my project, today i got the deck cleaning ready from underside, and applied base coat to the bottom. Also i check the bottom, there was no any rust holes, but one small repair needed to do, before apply the base coat. I will let the base coat become dry maybe 3-4 days, during that time, i will clean the wheels, upper pole, and also need clean well the engine mounting bolts. And now the photos.
Automotive tire Wood Musical instrument Composite material Gas

Wood Gas Composite material Auto part Circle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today i got the wheels cleaned and also i started to clean the old paint away from the upper side of the body, and this work will take so much the time. Here we can see now the photo about the deck today and also the wheels, which are now waiting. Front wheels looks like original and they have bearings, but rear wheels, one have bearings, and another no, so the rear wheels are not original, but all the wheels and bearings are pretty good condition, and i can re-use them for sure, even they not look like brand-new.
Wood Dishware Gas Cuisine Serveware

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Circle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time for some update, related my project. Today i got the base works ready with the bottom side of the deck. The bottom have: 1 layer rust stopper/prevent paint, 2 layers "normal" base paint which will give good base for main-paint to stay well. Also i have got ready the deck main-side cleaning, and maybe tomorrow i will apply first layer "normal" base paint.
Here we can see the photo about the deck bottom side today
Plumbing fixture Bathroom Fluid Automotive tire Toilet

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Today i got the bottom side of the deck ready, and here we can see the photo about the work today. Also photo will tell the final color for the lawnmower. The meaning of the plastic rings on the front-axle is to make sure that the wheels leveling system will stay the right position, because even the system seems working fine, the tension of the springs, which will lock the wheels, seems little light, and i become thought that better to do something about that, then no need worry about wheels when cutting grass.
Fluid Automotive tire Wood Bathroom Gas

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Project going forward, today i got the main-side about the deck, officially ready. After the paint have dry over one night to the tomorrow, i will do last finishing checks and repairs for the paintwork, but anyway we can see from the photo, what is coming. At least for my eyes, the color looks really nice. For some reason, the color looks in the photos more pale, than what it really is. It is pretty much right and same color as the Norlett used in late 1970s and begin 1980s.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Fender Automotive lighting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today i could transfer the mower to the another room from working room, and i started to do last finishing works. I assembled almost all parts to the right places (blade needs to be do later), and also i will put the oil to the engine some other day. But mostly everything looks so ready and so i decided to put here some photos about almost ready mower.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Fender Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Fender

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Mower

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much. Yes everything is now ready with this project, engine is filled with the oil, and air-cleaner is re-moisten with the oil, because engine is build 2006, and cleaner was bit dry. During the winter i will sharpen the blade and then the lawnmower is ready for new season. I like also the color very much, maybe i was thought to get little bit more dark,or orange color, but this color is also very good for my taste. Somehow the mower looks with this color so much like the machine from 1970s, which is only good thing, if i can say. Also i put little bit oil through spark plug hole to the cylinder, just to get some oil to cylinder and valves, then slowly pulled from the rope few times, to check that compression feels good. One more lawnmower is rescued from going to the the scrapyard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts