5-24-2012 Husqvarna 96145000601

Model:HU700F
22in

Honda engine
GCV160Lao 53ANHI
GJARA 2973167

I have a new Husqvarna with a Honda engine:
I would like to lower the engine speed :
What would be the procedure and control to change the speed: From the factory setting.
There is no Throttle control
Thanks
Ken Mississippi

#2 ·
Many new mowers are designed to run at a constant speed and there is no way to put a throttle on them. This is done for emissions, so they run cooler as the air flow is constant and the engine keeps the blade cutting at the optimum RPM or blade tip speed. If you want a throttle get an old good used mower. Roger

#3 ·
Thanks Roger,
Here is all the manual has to say about the speed, which is higher rpm than I need.
Ken

"ENGINE SPEED
Your engine speed has been factory set. Do not attempt to
increase engine speed or it may result in personal injury. If
you believe that the engine is running too fast or too slow,
take your lawn mower to an authorized service center for
repair and adjustment."

#4 ·
I have a new Husqvarna with a Honda engine:
I would like to lower the engine speed :
Ken, just curious, but why do you want to lower the engine speed? It's been my experience cut quality suffers significantly if the blade(s) turn too slow.

Maybe you are trying to slow down the self-propel? Thee might e some way to do that, if I'm guessing right....

#5 ·
Well Robert,
Several reasons:
1. Engine Noise
2. High RPM not wanted in Dusty areas.
3. Cutting Oak leaves Also knocks out the Dust.
4. Trim mower High RPM not needed
5. Unit has Variable speed control and also fix speed drive.
so drive speed is not a problem.
6. Don't desire to run engine at high RPM all the time.

Only taking Unit to service shop is all the Vendor (Lowes)Will talk about. All their work is done by Local Small engine Repair shop.

If turning a screw or moving a lever , I can do that with out
Loading up Mower and taking it in.

No Throttle is ONE thing that I dislike about this Honda.
I have another GCV160 that has a Throttle which I Like.

Ken
Vendor does not have their own shop

#6 ·
My problem unsolved; MACHINE RETURNED TO VENDOR! No one at Vendor or Honda local service,Has a throttle control adaption, To make machine to variable speed.Just setting the speed to another lower fixed speed is not an option.
No Throttle is ONE thing that I dislike about this Honda/Husqvara Lawnmower.
I have another GCV160 that has a Throttle which I Like.
Vendor does not have their own shop
Machines fixed at 3200 rpm with out variable throttle is not an option for me.
Ken

#7 ·
Ken you are going to continue to have this problem unless you get into high end machines. It is primarily so the engine makers can meet emission laws. With constant speed you only have to have a carb that meets the emisson standard in one place. I am afraid it is the future. Roger

#8 ·
Roger,
I guess that the EPA would not be happy with the dust storm that machine did in the dry area with weeds that need trimmed and when I cut leaves!
If only the high end machines are the ones with throttles, then where is the emission police , with them?
Ken

#9 ·
Generally speaking, the EPA is only involved with emissions related to exhaust and evaporative fuel. Provided the equipment meets EPA certifications for both areas, it's legal to sell in the USA. I don't think EPA's regulatory powers have anything to do with dust or debris created by the mower.

If such problems were a *safety* concern, with possible damage to property or injury to people/pets, then the other lawnmower agency (US Consumer Products Safety Commission) would get involved.

#10 ·
The EPA is involved with the high end mowers. The reason they are high end mowers is an engine with throttle control costs the manufacturer of lawn mowers more to put one on there product. The reason is the engine manufacturers charge more for them because of their costs. That is the reality of 2012. One of my favorite mowers is a LB Duraforce and because I use synthetic mixing oil in it it produces no more polution that a Briggs. It runs clean with no hint of smoke but in EPA test situations using LBs oil there was no way these very good engines could pass emissions. So now when you buy a LB you get a green Toro. Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.