My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 1999 Craftsman Mower Model - 917256524, 15.5 HP Turbo Cool, 42" cut. Was running good when parked 3 weeks ago.
No PTO,
Just recently I put a new ignition switch in and a new spark plug. Motor turns over now, but I am not getting spark, and no fuel to the carb.
It was acting as if the deck was engaged (it's not) and nothing would happen when the key was turned.

What should I check for?

Thanks
kb

·
Registered
247 Posts
My go to is "was there any maintenance or repairs done lately?". I would look at the new ignition switch. By the way, why did you replace the switch?
here is a link to the manual:
Craftsman 917-256524 manual - link
electrical diagram:
Schematic Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

Because you have no fuel, it is possible that there is no 12v+ on the "L" terminal and the solenoid is not opening. Check for 12v at the solenoid with the key in the "run" position.
The spark is the opposite and for some reason is being grounded at the "M" terminal. The "M" terminal is ganged with the safety switches for the seat, Clutch/brake and the blade engage. Disconnect the plug from the "M" terminal should give you back spark.
*Caveat warning Be careful when disconnecting any / all safety switches. Be sure the machine is in neutral, brake engaged and blades disengaged. We don't want you to get run over and chopped up during the holidays!
Report back with your findings
Happy Thanksgiving

PS if you get it running, check that the headlights are on and vary(somewhat) with engine rpm. That will indicate the charging system is working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My go to is "was there any maintenance or repairs done lately?". I would look at the new ignition switch. By the way, why did you replace the switch?
here is a link to the manual:
Craftsman 917-256524 manual - link
electrical diagram:
View attachment 62984
Because you have no fuel, it is possible that there is no 12v+ on the "L" terminal and the solenoid is not opening. Check for 12v at the solenoid with the key in the "run" position.
The spark is the opposite and for some reason is being grounded at the "M" terminal. The "M" terminal is ganged with the safety switches for the seat, Clutch/brake and the blade engage. Disconnect the plug from the "M" terminal should give you back spark.
*Caveat warning Be careful when disconnecting any / all safety switches. Be sure the machine is in neutral, brake engaged and blades disengaged. We don't want you to get run over and chopped up during the holidays!
Report back with your findings
Happy Thanksgiving

PS if you get it running, check that the headlights are on and vary(somewhat) with engine rpm. That will indicate the charging system is working.
No maintenance done or repairs. The ign. switch was changed out from a mower repair shop. It starts but there is a rub.
To start it one has to turn the key to start (this is where there is no spark), then quickly turn the key back run. It then starts.
The old ign. switch did not have to be turned back to run by hand. Not sure I like this method. 😢

I was reading about something similar (same?) from a review on Amazon below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mine does not have the Ground to Start issue for the Magneto

Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on November 8, 2021

Verified Purchase

(((There's a review in here I read many times - where the magneto for the coil spark would be connected to ground during key start. This would not allow the engine to start unless you turned the key back to run quickly.

I am glad to report mine wasn't defective as mentioned and my engine starts perfectly fine. My engine is a Briggs and Stratton Intek 17.5hp - three wires. Red for battery charging and lights, silver for fuel solenoid (+12V when key is run, ground when key off) and Black for Magneto coil (Ground when key is off, does not read 12V or anything else when key is run or start (and it shouldn't))

I have ordered another ign. switch. I will be here soon. Will inform you of the results when installed weather permitting.

Thanks for everything ;)
kb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts