My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Nikki carb from Ebay. In most cases it appears identical to the original carb. This is the 2 bbl. version on my Briggs and Stratton intek engine. On the outside, the only difference is the fuel solenoid. The OEM one has the solenoid on the bottom of the fuel bowl. The new one has the solenoid on the bottom, but it's much larger, and it works in a horizontal motion, as opposed to the OEM one that works in a vertical motion.
Once I installed the new carb, it would not function properly. Lots of surging and backfiring. I took the float bowl off, and found that the rubber o-ring had been crushed during assembly. The old carb had a white plastic piece that fit over the plunger on the solenoid. There was no such part in the new carb.
So, can someone please help me to understand how the new carb with the horizontal solenoid works, and was it missing a part? I can't understand how the plunger works to cut off the fuel, as opposed to the vertical one. And, if the new one is missing a part, what does it look like? Before I contact the seller, I want to be completely knowledgeable about the issue.

Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engine model #406777, type 0442B1. I am trying to find what part or parts may be missing from the new carb, the one with the horizontal fuel solenoid. I guess I just don't understand how the horizontal solenoid works as opposed to the vertical (OEM) solenoid. I can see how the vertical solenoid plunger stops the fuel supply. There is a plastic part that fits over the plunger. In the new carb with the horizontal solenoid, there's no plastic part, just a short metal shaft that's part of the fuel bowl, with a rubber O-ring. I can't see how it can possibly shut off the fuel supply.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts