My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
I found this JD 56 RER last Fall at an estate auction. It was listed as "not running", two of the family members told me after I bought it that they had driven it the day before! Brought it into the shop today to start the restoration. It appears to be in pretty good shape for it's age. First thing will be adding electric start, it has the ring gear & mounting holes for the starter. I'll make a battery tray, have a starter, solenoid & switch. After that; cleanup & repaint & new decals, new tires, plus whatever else it needs. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It started snowing here around 10 this morning, 3/4" now, pretty fine so far!

Other than the walk to the shop, I won't mess with it today. Shop is warm, plenty of firewood, fresh pot of chili on the stove in the house, I'm fine! So far! ~~ grnspot

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stripping the 56 today. Drilled the spot welds from the shift quadrant so I can get the rust from between it & the pedestal. Muffler is rusted out & NLA, so I'll have to do something different, not a big deal. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tires are of, rear rims in good shape, fronts will need some straightening! Frame is stripped except for one hub, it's soaking, may need some heat to get it off. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Got a little chili in you and you couldn't stand it anymore, could you? :cool

I like the bead breaker, simple yet effective. :ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Great work!

Looks to be a nice candidate for this type of project.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Down to bare frame, had a lot of trouble loosening the RR hub from the axle, but finally got it! Painted the small parts yesterday. Next, prep & paint the rims. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
1,329 Posts
Down to bare frame, had a lot of trouble loosening the RR hub from the axle, but finally got it! Painted the small parts yesterday. Next, prep & paint the rims. ~~ grnspot
Grn, Your doing a great job , and fast! My project has slowed to a stand still for now.
The JD will be looking new soon, cant wait to see it completed.:2th:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I meant buy that bead breaker
I made the bead breaker from an old sign post, parts off a weight bench & scrap I had on hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frame is finished! Sanded the rims, mounted the tires, then bagged & painted the rims today. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
My hat is off to you ~~Sir! You are truly an inspiration. I can't wait to see this come together. Are you bomb canning or using a gun?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My hat is off to you ~~Sir! You are truly an inspiration. I can't wait to see this come together. Are you bomb canning or using a gun?
Thanks!

Hand bombs on the small stuff & underneath, HVLP gun w/JD "Ag Green" on the pedestal, console & shroud. ~~ grnspot

·
1,329 Posts
I know you are having all the fun grn, but I am enjoying watching as well. Looking good, its gonna be a beauty:2th:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Looking great! Keep up up the good work!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts