My Lawnmower Forum banner

Newly purchased JD rider fraying grass??

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ddigler 
#1 ·
First post, glad to be a part of the community! Hoping you gurus may be able help me with a problem:

I just purchased a used JD LTR180 in very good condition. Mowed one time and functionally speaking absolutely loved it!

Only problem is it seems to have frayed the grass. :mad: My lawn instantly looked light brown on top and upon further inspection the blades were frayed (not all but most)

The mower has brand new blades so what gives? I did (by accident) cut the grass shorter than I would have with our push mower. Would this cause fraying? Do the brand new blades need sharpened?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!! :)

#2 ·
I would recommend that you check the blades with your finger to see if they are sharp enough; it is not uncommon for new blades to be dull. I don't know the reasons for this, but it isn't the first time I heard complaints about dull blades. Cutting the grass shorter could be a possible reason, but I would be more concerned with the sharpness on the blades.

#4 ·
you guys are great thx! I'll check them for sharpness and configuration.

how do i know if they are upside down? sorry for the ridiculous question; just don't know anything about mowers! lol I believe my blades are turned up towards the deck on the ends if that helps.

#6 ·
Ok thx Wayne. I felt them with my finger and they def feel very blunt/dull. I figured they needed sharpened but was confused as they are brand new.

Ill pull them tomorrow and have a professional sharpen them for me. I'm going to pull the front wheels up on ramps and work under the deck to take them off. Is this a good idea or should I just drop the deck. No idea how to do that though...:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.