My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just picked up a Maxwell Rocket jr. Series 30 Eclipse Mower with an iron horse engine and hope to find out about it. ser. #51929

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to MLF. I would guess that you are from FL? Where abouts? Lake County here. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Ahh, ok, that would mean you are up north now. ;) I see the serial# just post all the info on the Eclipse and put some pics up and we can help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need help to find basic info about this reel mower

can anyone help me find basic information about the reel mower I just picked up. The Id. plate says it is a Maxwell Rocket Jr. Model 30 Ser. # 51929. Maxwell Ltd. St. Mary's Ontario. It also says below this Eclipse Lawn Mower Co. Prophetstown, ILL. It has an Iron Horse engine model AR533 1 HP 4 cycle. Ser. #226946. I would like to know the year it was made etc. It is very rusty but engine is not seized but I have not tried to do anything with it yet. Would anyone know the value of this?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Like you pointed out, they were made in St. Mary's Ontario, and their home factory was in Prophetstown, IL. Those made in the U.S. used Briggs and Stratton engines almost exclusively, but there was the odd model every now and then here with other brands as well.

The numbers posted on this site refer to the year of manufacture of the U.S. models. I have a big book from Eclipse, but I don't remember seeing anything in it about the Canadian ones. I'll take a look at it later to see.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/eclipsereelmowers/

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I took a look into that book, but there wasn't any mention of the Canadian made ones. The sales sheets in it are from 1954, 1959 and I think 1956 maybe. There's also sales sheets from 1960, the year they went to the yellow and white color scheme of Hahn, the company that bought Eclipse and eventually moved manufacturing from Prophetstown, IL to Indiana.

At the bottom of the sales sheets from 1954 and '56 it says;
The Eclipse Lawn Mower Company, a division of Buffalo - Eclipse Corp. Prophetstown, IL.

Then on the 1959 and 1960 sheets, this was added:
Export Office
Buffalo International Corp.
50 Church St.
New York 7, N. Y.

I did find this post on smokstak.com from 2009

Eclipse Mowers - SmokStak

"Eclipse lawn mowers were made in St. Marys, Ontario, Canada only they were called Maxwell mowers. They were manufactured by Maxwell Limited by arrangement with The Eclipse Lawn Mower Co., Prophetstown, Illinois. They were an exact copy of the Eclipse except most of the mower models had Johnson Iron Horse engines. Some of the mower models were called Rocket, Rocket A, Rocket Junior, Rocket Lark and Rocket Senior. The first two numbers on the mower tag indicated the year of the mower."

From that then, yours is a 1951.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts