My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newbie with Jdeere 176x

I bought a John Deere 176x with 38 inch deck. Started tinkering with it and as usual had no problem getting the mower deck off but cant figure out how to get it back on with the belt. Searched everywhere and see instructions on releasing tension on the belt but do not see any way to do it. Help Please.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Welcome to MLMF Tigerhouse67, glad to have you join us. I'm like you, I find it easy to take things apart, but getting them back together can be troubling.:dunno:

Someone will be along shortly to help you with your question, I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:welcome: Welcome to MLF Tigerhouse67. Glad you signed up and joined the family. I'll go out on a limb here and make a wild guess on your name, do you have a '67 GTO?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
:welcome: to MLF!

Perhaps these images below may be of help.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Looks like in the last photo the belt tension release lever is on the right in the photo. Electric PTO clutch or manual style with a lever?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
The large spring is what tensions up the belt. The end of the spring that is not attached to the idler bracket is the end that gets clipped back onto its support bracket. You'll see as you begin to tension the spring it in turn tensions the belt via the idler.

If you have a photo that you can post of your particular deck, I would be happy to outline what I mean.

In the photo below is an outline of the tension spring in reference to what I mentioned above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for the diagram and the directions. So easy once you can see it. Belt is back on and ready to mow. Just need so green, growing grass. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good deal, thanks for the update. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts