My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading on some issues with a Honda HRB215K3 with transmission pulley problems. Is there any solution as there is play on the pulley gear/spindle and the needle bearings are toast. The part I need is a pulley gear/spindle and transmission housing or a new transmission. Unless a bearing can be installed in place of the needle bearing where the housing will need some attention with a dremel to make a bearing fit. The other plan is purchase a new transmission from a HRB215K4 as its cheaper hydrostatic one and what parts would I need for the mod? Is this possible? anyone know? Would be interested in some used parts if anyone has some.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Welcome to MLF. If you go to this web site,

All Years Honda Lawnmower Parts

and look up the two mowers you're talking about you should be able to find which parts are different to make the modification you are talking about.

First, you'll have to go through the major assemblies, in this case, the controls in particular. Then look at the parts. As you pull the individual parts up, you can click on the part number being shown, and that will take you to another screen that will show what mowers that part is used on.

Like this:

This shows the transmission for the HRB215K3SXA:
All Years HRB215K3 SXA Honda Lawnmower TRANSMISSION (SDA, SXA) Diagram and Parts

This shows which mowers that transmission was used in:
20011-VE5-711 HONDA TRANSMISSION ASSY. (Honda Code 6836159)

You might have to switch back and forth a bit to see what is different, like controls, cables, and such that are unique the the HX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The transmission I have is the 3 gear transmission made by Spicer. I was thinking the hydrostatic transmission might be a better one? any thoughts? It originally came with this part no 20001-VE2-M100. The one I'm thinking of putting in is 20001-VE1-T02 as its priced alot less.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I personally like the hydros. Do a search here for my Frankenmower where I put a hydro from an HRB215 in a HRT216. I also switched the 3 speed that I had in an HR215SX for the hydro of an HR215HX.

Anyway, I know it can be done, but like you said, there might be other parts necessary to make the switch besides the transmission. I know there was on my HR215, and it was by looking at the parts lists for the two mowers on boats.net that I was able to figure out what I needed. If you look at the list for the hydro version of the HRB215, and check the parts on it, if they are required, they should only come up on the parts list for that mower.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Part number 20001-VE1-T02 is also a gear driven transmission, and is used in the SDA and SXA versions of the mower, it is not a hydrostatic transmission. The "S" in the model number indicates gear drive. Models with hydrostatic transmissions will have an "H" in their suffix.

Look at these parts list and see what might be different on the K4 version from your K3. Maybe part #10, the cable that changes the gears.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...THROTTLE LEVER (PDA, PXA,SDA, SXA)/parts.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...15K4 SXA/THROTTLE LEVER (SDA, SXA)/parts.html

If it's a hydrostatic transmission you want to switch to, the overall cost might be prohibitive. Look these parts over on these parts diagram, and click on the part number and description like I said. There are some that are specific to the hydro model that you would have to have as well as the transmission to make the change over. A lot of it has to do with the different way the hydro is controlled because it operates over a range as opposed to individual stages of the three speed.

All Years HRB215K4 HXA Honda Lawnmower THROTTLE LEVER (HXA) Diagram and Parts

There are 19 parts listed on that parts list, and these are the ones that appear to be specific to the hydro that I saw.

Parts # 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15.

Using boats.net's prices on those parts they come to $56.47 in addition to the cost of the transmission.

On this parts diagram, besides the transmisssion, part #2, ($234.02) you'd have to have part #9 as well ($5.58).

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Lawn Mower/0/HRB215K4 HXA/TRANSMISSION (HXA)/parts.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts