My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forums. Here cause I am stumped on what mowing device to buy for my new land, varying degree slopes around a pond. Read on zt, kubola, ventral, and remotes. ????
I don't even know if this is the place to introduce myself, so let me know if I placed my intro in the wrong place.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I gave you your own welcome thread so you can be seen by all. Have a enjoyable stay hear and I'm sure you'll get plenty of input on your purchase.

·
1,329 Posts
Hey PDF. Welcome to MLF. Thanks for joining us. What kind of ground are you dealing with, nice and smooth or ruff farm ground? Got pics. :pics:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealers in town have John Deere and Simplicity lawn tractors only. I recon I need to get one or the other for servicing. JD is better, right?
The local dealers have Hustler, cub cadet, bush hog, snapper, toro, exmark, and John Deere for the zt's. Which is better for hills, and which is better (easiest) for routine maintenance?
Thanks. Appreciate:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am new to forums. I'm trying to get this out there for others to reply, but just sent my reply to myself - I think. Laugh...This is what I posted:
The dealers in town have John Deere and Simplicity lawn tractors only. I recon I need to get one or the other for servicing. JD is better, right?
The local dealers have Hustler, cub cadet, bush hog, snapper, toro, exmark, and John Deere for the zt's. Which is better for hills, and which is better (easiest) for routine maintenance?
Thanks. Appreciate

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Your posts are coming across just fine. When you post your reply it will show up in a window just as others will see it. If your post is the last one in the thread it just means that no one has responded to it yet. No problem being new to the game as many others will be happy to give you a hand here. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks. Appreciate:)
Some people think if you buy John Deere you just pay for the name (and colors). I would like to see other opinions on this, also. As for zero-turn vs. lawn tractor, a lot of both have a slope rating of up to 15 degrees. And you should usually go sideways (across) the hill and turn up the hill when turning around on zero-turns. But look at your manual. :2cents:

Here is a thread discussing the up-and-down OR side-to-side "controversy": http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/lawn-care-landscaping/1768-mowing-incline-slope-up-down-sideways.html

Reactions: PDK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have hard ground mainly. I read on zt's being dangerous on hills, but then I see the John Deere lawn tractor, how high up it rides, and don't know what would be better. Having my yard looked at by a local dealer soon. Thank should help.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum PDK!!! I have owned many brands of lawn tractors and garden tractors. I am partial to John Deere myself. Both machines are well made and have their pros/cons of course! One way to decide is to ask around town which dealer has better customer service after the sale!! Makes a difference if you have issues! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. The lawn tractors JD look too high for a roll over. Do you know if gizmow still is in production? only one for hills I see that's made for them. I may end up weed waking an awful lot of area come spring. Wanted to get set up this fall with better pricing. Fall is a good time to buy? Right? Need something that can hall a wood chipper that's on wheels. Do you know of a good light weight straight trimmer? Saw one by Honda.
John 11:25

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
PDK, I am unfamiliar with the gizmow. I searched it on Google and it is a neat idea for hills . Maybe a walk behind string mower would work? I got a nice Huskavarna that works well. Best bet might be to go to the two dealers and ask and try them out. Show you are serious buyer, might get good deal. Even a good used one you did not know about! Dealers want room,not overhead!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks. The lawn tractors JD look too high for a roll over. Do you know if gizmow still is in production? only one for hills I see that's made for them. I may end up weed waking an awful lot of area come spring. Wanted to get set up this fall with better pricing. Fall is a good time to buy? Right? Need something that can hall a wood chipper that's on wheels. Do you know of a good light weight straight trimmer? Saw one by Honda.
John 11:25
Yes, in fall and early winter dealers try to clear out for next year's models. I love Honda's, but the thing about their trimmers is that they are 4-stroke.....some people might not like that. The lightest Honda trimmer is 13 pounds, which is 1 lb. heavier than my Echo SRM-225 trimmer....just to give a comparison.

Honda Trimmers: 4-stroke String Trimmers and Brushcutters

Reactions: PDK

·
Registered
226 Posts
ZT Mowers are made to cut grass fast. Tractors are made to do about 10,000 different things, including cutting grass. A hefty duty John Deere 700 type will take care of almost anything you might run into. Anything. As far as string trimming a steep slope goes, think about a wide area walk behind, as well. And, how many acres are you mowing. How steep is the steepest slope? Lots to consider. Probably the Dealer who is coming to visit will square you away. You also haven't mentioned a budget. No budget constraints? Then get the biggest and best for the job. Budget restrictions? Then you have to make choices. A good lawn tractor might be all you need for the flat stuff. A small walkbehindmight be enough for the steep stuff. Good luck. Lots to think about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What does 4 stroke mean? Is Echo as good of quality as Honda in trimmers? I want the best light one.
Do you know about the little robot lawn mowers? I looked last night and about 1/3 of my grass is very steep.
Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya that was a good idea about the wide broad based walk behind. I'm not that strong. I'm a female trying to take care of this place and where I am unable to, I can hire a strong guy to do it, but want the best equipment for my hire. Let you know the slopes I'm dealing with tomorrow.
Thanks for your impute:)

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
A 4 stroke engine fires every other revolution while a 2 stroke fires every revolution. (automotive engines are 4 strokes) 4 strokes have valvetrains and oil sumps and are more complicated and heavier than 2 strokes. This is why most handheld equipment is powered by 2 strokes. With a 4 stroke, the engine is lubricated by motor oil kept in an oil sump, and that must be changed on schedule. 2 strokes are lubricated by oil mixed with the gas. (if you run straight gas in a 2-stroke, you'll lock it up in no time flat!) For string trimmers, I prefer 2-strokes for their sharper throttle response, light weight, and simplicity. Echo is a good brand, and I've had no problems in the past 4 years I've been running them. I hope this helps out!:2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
What does 4 stroke mean? Is Echo as good of quality as Honda in trimmers? I want the best light one.
Do you know about the little robot lawn mowers? I looked last night and about 1/3 of my grass is very steep.
Thanks for your insight.
Hi PDK, the 4 stroke means the engine runs on normal gas, a 2 stroke runs on oil/gas mix, the old type smoking trimmer.
Don't know much about robot ones, but odds are not meant for steep hills.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
motor, beat me by three seconds!! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts