My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site. I have approximately 3-4 acres to mow during the summer months. I am looking to replace the lawn tractor I have now with a John Deer. The lay of the land I mow is one long slope, and fairly steep in places, I am considering the X304 or the X500 models at this time. I am looking for opinions from those who know and use this brand of tractor. Would the X304 model be appropriate for my application or would I be better served spending more money on the X500 series. Although I have not used a tractor for purposes other than mowing, I may consider attachments in the future depending on which series most recommended. Tractor I am replacing is a Craftsman lawn tractor which has not held up on this terrain over the past 4 years.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Hi, Chris3124. Welcome to the forum! I moved your post into a thread of it's own to get more exposure for your question.

I am not specifically familiar with either the X304 or X500 models from John Deere, but I have heard questions of this nature asked before. The X500 would probably be the best bet, due to the more durable drive components they have. I think that they are better built to withstand the use of attachments as well.

Now, with that being said, you might find a great used Garden Tractor that would do the job that you need for many years. Built for tougher use, they will last for many years with proper care and maintenance.

I hope others will jump in with any personal experiences and advice.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Chris!

The X series are very nice machines. What kind of attachments are you planning on running? If they include anything like a blade or snowblower attachment, I would go with a 500 series machine because you have more options in that department and they are going to handle those types of applications even better. More power out of the bigger units and like Brad said, more durability in the drivetrain components to handle those types of jobs. That said though, there are still plenty of people who use the smaller machines for jobs like this with success, it's mainly that the bigger the machine, the easier it's going to handle those types of jobs with ease and get the work done even smoother.

If it is hard to justify the cost for a bigger machine, look into a well kept used unit to save on cost.

Hope this answers some of your questions, and if not let us know! I don't want to deter you at all away from this site, but if you'd like to find even more topics about this very thing, be sure to check out the JD section over on MTF where you'll find endless reading material on this very topic: John Deere Forum - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

1 - 3 of 3 Posts