My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I brought home an old (1980s?) model Sears 7/25, electric start, rear engine, rider. Been sitting around for a long time, but not in too bad of shape. As per usual, won't start and I could use some help. Engine is a Tecumseh #143-286132.

Spark plug is getting wet so I assume carb is at least putting liquid through to the cylinder, but no spark. Used a spark tester and couldn't even get a weak spark. Removed top from motor to get to the coil and it appears that is under the flywheel (please tell me it's not so).

That's where I stopped for the day. Any help on testing procedures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark. Thank you for the information. It will be very helpful. I just hope I can get that dang flywheel off. I'll keep everyone posted. Jim.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm sorry I took so long to supply an update. You were right, the points are under the flywheel. Got the flywheel off, cleaned/gaped the points and she started. Ran pretty bad. Needed a carb. The old one was just too far gone to fix.
Earlier, I stated I thought this was an 80s machine. I learned it was built in 1968 (the year I was married). Don't you think I had fun trying to find a carb. I finally found a new one (paid dearly), but she ran much better. After some tinkering and letting her run a few hours, she started running better (now runs smoothly - does not smoke - etc). This little 7hp mower runs extremely well now for being 46 years old. Thanks again everyone. Jim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts