My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I ran into a buddy who was needing some money. He had a YTH21k46 for $450. I've been in the market for a rider so I jumped on it. It runs real well the only thing wrong with it is the ignitin switch is a little loose and the key is stuck in it. Sooo, I got online and ordered a switch (still can't find a new key) and then I decided to do a little research on it. He said it was about two yrs. old and the display shows 87 hrs. I find this site only to discover that this is the worst engine ever built. Can I expect to get a couple summers out of it or did I totally waste my money?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hello, what engine is it? If a Kohler Courage, not all is lost! They are not all bad, some preventive maintenance will let it live longer. You got a great price for the machine! Always could swap engine if needed from donor tractor!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: With proper maintenance you'll probably be okay for a good while. And if it does go south on you, we'll be here to help with the repower. :D

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
chumley, we had a good Courage and we gave it to a handicapped man. So far he is very happy with it! Don't think negative! You got a sweet tractor otherwise!! Enjoy it and we will help you in any way we can! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
You will be fine, I think you have v-twin and they don't have many issues, and if it's a single take fan shroud off and check Torq on bolts you see on top, my next door neighbor has an 18 hp single that just rolled over 600 hours, like Eric said before take care of it and you won't have any problem. :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm on my 3rd season on the same machine, with no problems so far. I change oil and oil filter every 25 hours and air filter every 50. I'm up to abut 82 hours on mine, I think, love it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
:howdy: I'm also a (gulp) Courage owner...purchased my machine new in '08 and have logged a few hundred hours on her without issue (aside from a nasty backfire if I don't idle the machine for 15-20 seconds before shutting it down.)

+1 on pulling the flywheel, add red loctite to the sump cover bolts & torque to spec (link).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts