My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I ran across a lady who had a Honda mower that she had bought new and had served her faithfully until just recently. She decided it was time to get herself a new mower, and I struck up a deal to buy her HRS21SVA.

It has some issues, but all in all, it looked to be in pretty darn good shape for it's age. Obviously she hadn't abused it, and had even thought to keep the original owner's manual that she was kind enough to pass along with the mower.

It's an interesting mower in that it has an aluminum deck, but a plastic carburetor. I believe it was Honda's first true side discharge mower, and has a removable discharge chute that can be replaced with a side bag. There was also an HRM21 version, that had a mulch plate in place of the side discharge, and that plate fit the HRS21 as well. The engine is unique in that the flywheel is on the bottom of the engine and the recoil start is mounted on the side of the engine.

The HRS21SVA code for this mower mower means:
HR = Honda Rotary
S = Side discharge
21 = 21" cutting width
S = Gear drive
V = Flywheel brake/side discharge (HRS21 only)
A = USA market

According to the information on Plano Power's web site, these were made from 1984 to 1988. This particular one was made in Japan and has serial number 1006764.

When I got it home, it seemed that the carb might need to be replaced. It has a plastic carb body with metal bits and pieces here and there inside and out. The emulsion tube and jet were just laying in the float bowl when I opened it up which at first indicated to me that the o-rings that are supposed to seal them in place in the carb body had gone south of being useful, but, it also showed that someone had taken the bowl off because you assemble the carb upside down, and there is a spring that presses against the bottom of the bowl and pushes the emulsion tube upward. They just don't fall out.

Anyway, I took a shot, cleaned the carb and put it back together. Somewhere along the line, someone had used an (gasp) Autolite spark plug, and when I checked it, there were no signs of life in the plug at all, but a beautiful bright spark with a tester. So, I installed the proper NGK plug and threw some fresh gas into the tank.

O.K., cross the fingers, choke, activate the zone start bar, give the rope a tug, and darned if it didn't come to life about 3/4 of the way through the pull!

The self propel pulls strong and the engine sounds good. I took the side discharge chute off and put the mulch cover on so it's easier to get in and around in the garage. It was a gloomy day so it didn't take a very good picture, but here it is before the clean up begins. First thing, I've got to get that awful blue dot thing a dealership stuck on it a long time ago!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,015 Posts
WOW!! You scored it sounds like!! I don't know any thing about Honda Mowers. I have had a few Honda engines on pressure washers I owned, including one we have now. They run real nice!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,898 Posts
Nice find, great when it's a minor issue. I have found that after peeling a decal off that mineral spirits (Low Odor works fine) is great for removing the adhesive.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
Great find! :ThumbUp:

Thanks for explaining the classification breakdown of the model.

That is one you don't see as often and sounds like it was well taken care of.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top