My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas! This is my first post here on the site and all I can say is wow! The site has tons of info! You could look for days and not get bored. Happy to be here and I plan on sharing my tractors and what knowledge I might have.

I purchased a hds 3225 with the kohler command 22 hp engine with 800hrs. I scored it from a customer we were adding an addition to their horse barn. Good people and very wealthy. I saw it sitting in the corner and asked the boss if he knew what was up with it as he knows the people. Said "heck ask if it's for sale. I bet they'll give it to ya". Sweet! So later in the day sitting having a break with the customer I asked what he was working on with the cub. "You want that thing"? Told him that yes perhaps i would pending it's condition. Said he had a fuel line collapse and it was sputtering. He replaced the line but he thought he kinked the line in the tank and he had had enough. He within the hour went out and bought a $12,000 John Deere. Would love to see the cub off. "Make me an offer" I told him I was not good with offers and I did not want to offend him. "How about $100"? I said Deal!

Got it home and I loath working on dirty greasy stuff so I pressure washed and dried off with compressed air before digging in. I found the battery to be charged so thought what the heck. I gave her a shot of fuel in the carb and it spit a few times and backfired once like a shotgun! Ok we'll slow down here!

Began tracking the fuel line down and indeed found it completely kinked right below where it connects into the tank. Replaced the line, stale fuel and primed the line. Verified I had fuel at the carb and cranked her. Almost started but then soon had nothing. Again it backfired and I thought ok we have a spark issue or timing. Checked each plug for spark and had it although I though it was week. Replaced plugs with new and found the spark much better but still what I would think a weak spark compared to what my onan has. Again tried to start to no avail. It will not fire much at all if any. Occasionally will backfire. Compression seems fine but has not been tested just yet. I'm leaning towards something minor I may be overlooking. I had the seat off and still had spark so something is up with the seat safety and I have since used a jumper wire with no change. Am I overlooking a safety that will keep it from starting or weaken the spark? Will the ignitor for the coils cause this or a bad coil. Spark is the same for both plugs so I can't see them both being bad? Just stumped at the moment and it is frustrating. Like to think I can fix most anything once I know what needs fixed but now I am just stumped!

I would appreciate any help if one might know what I am overlooking. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Again checked spark. Bright and blue and both cylinders have spark. Starting to lean towards timing being off. Sheared key? Waiting on a friend to bring his compression tester over and will have a look see there.

Anyone direct me to a service manual download for this particular machine and the engine?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Did you check the flywheel key? Bet that is your issue. If broken will cause timing issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not checked the flywheel Eric. I was just out looking at it again and was thinking the same thing. Engine needs to come out in order to check correct? That is my next move after looking at compression that I'm almost 99% sure is good without checking. Bummed out because we're off to the lake for the day. So far the tractor is winning!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright I am back at it!

Planned on pulling the flywheel to check for a partially or sheered key. My father said I was wasting my time adding that if the key was sheered it would not turn the flywheel like it is and he got in there with a screw driver and looked if the flywheel had any movement without the pto side moving. He saw nothing leading him to believe the key was sheared.

So maybe going back to my youth a bit I went with the opinion opposite my father and decide to pull the motor. Pulled the floor pan and took in the newness of this different machine. I notice there was a safety on the right side and the button was not depressed. Zip tie to depress it and figured ok I will try starting. Darn thing almost started! The battery was a bit low so it was cranking hard and I don't think I spun it fast enough. Believe it is flooded badly with all the cranking and no start. Plugs pulled and choke open while charging.

With this running before I got it I can't see a serious issue arising in it's sitting. The fuel line that the PO put on was also being smashed closed between the power steering cylinder and frame. Said it would run fine and then starve for fuel.

Back at it! Any thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Just wait for a 17yr old that benches 350lbs to be my engine hoist! Very easy to work on! I'm actually enjoying this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's out. Have not pulled the flywheel just yet. The pick up on the flywheel had a ton of gunk on it and maybe why I had weak spark. May replace the front seal upon further inspection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You stole that thing for a 100 bucks. Even with problems.

Electrical systems on newer tractors are a pain in the butt!!!! I really dislike all the safety switches. I usually end up by passing all of them, and trusting myself to be safe. My Dad's new snapper is one of the worst for safety catches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man this thing is EVIL! Pulled the engine and removed the flywheel. The key was intact. I did find the stator had sludge caked everywhere and was even caked in between the coils. I pressure washed this upon bringing it home and went at it pretty good so I am to blame for turning dirt and dust into sludge. Cleaned everything reset my coils and reassembled. Spark is stronger and it nearly started several times. Still no start though. Compression will need checked because everything else has been ruled out I can think of.

Could the ignition control module be bad?
Coils be bad?
Did I maybe set my gap on the coils to tight? Spec on these are? I used a match book.(yeah I know)

What else could it possibly be?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of compression numbers am I looking to see with this engine? With the automatic compression release will I see a bad head gasket or weal cylinder?

another note...
I do have fuel but in trying to fire this is seems the left side is getting less fuel than the right side and once flooded you will see gas leaking from the left side exhaust where it ties from the header into the exhaust can and not on the right. I found that strange unless that side is just a bit looser in fit. I thought that (left side) plug also looked a bit dryer than the right as well.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row because after work tonight I will run a compression test. Spent all day yesterday to my wife's dismay working on this so I will need to make some headway.

Pics tonight as well!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks motorhead12. Looks like I'll have the day off afterwards and will get some tinkering done. Got a 3yr old that just loves helping dad work on tractors so no matter what it will be a good day!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick question!

By unhooking the white wire from the engine harness will be successful in isolating the engines ignition from the tractor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure. I was directed to isolate the engine from the cub wiring by pushing the pin back out of the harness connector on the engine and hooking back up. Grounding the coils I am told. If I did that the mower may start but I would not be able to shut off until the white wire was hooked back up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
140 on the left and 132 on the right cylinder for compression. Tracking down wiring now! Pretty much went through everything else.

Would a bad ground or connection somewhere cause a weak spark? I say that because I have fuel and have thought this spark looks weak from the start.

So far I have cleaned all connections and put dielectric grease on them. I cleaned the ignition switch connection and the exposed back of it because I had corrosion on there and it had even joined a couple of the connections together.

I am stumped but keep plugging. The boy has said "daddy we ride the tractor now" 40 some times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts