My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, some of you may recall about a month ago or so I posted a thread in the Genera discussion forum asking for opinions on whether a garden tractor or ZTR for the sub $3k range.

I've decided on a zero turn and was about to pull the trigger on a Toro Timecutter SS4225 but then Hustler came up with their $200 off promo which put the Raptor at $100 above the Toro but now I get the fab deck.

It was delivered last Saturday but got to use it for the first time yeasterday. I really like the mower and the Kawasaki sounds great, driving it wasn't as difficult as i thought and was able to mow with straight lines as i get used to it.

Alas, I do have a question since I have no experience with these machines and I want to get the best life out of it:

What is the best way to drive these with the EZT (2200) trans? I've read that the EZT's don't have relief valves and am concerned that driving it like the pros do making zero radius turns may cause early failure with the repetitive reversing in the turns.

For the most part I went in circles like a tractor and then did the 180's at the center, it took less than 1/2 hour to mow (almost the whole yard) and when I was done I noticed the EZT's were very warm, hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch after about 5 seconds. the ambient temp was about 60 deg F and my yard is mostly flat with a slight incline about maybe a foot or two in 30 feet of distance.

To put this in perspective my Cub tractor with the famous K46 trans only would get fairly warm at this temp but not that you couldn't put your hand on it for 10 seconds or more.

Perhaps the nature of the EZT's make them run warmer or maybe some driving tips from experienced users would help.

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,296 Posts
Congratulations on the new mower! :tango_face_smile:

If you can hold your hand on them at all, still probably less then 140°F depending on how callused your mit is. ;)

I guess if your really concerned about it you could uses an infrared non touch thermometer, mow the yard one way and measure the temperatures when done and compare that to the temperature if you mow it another way that is more labor some for the hydros. Biggest thing I think on all of them is to keep them cleared of grass after each use so the fan and cooling fins can do their job. Being a flat yard my guess would be that no matter how you mow they are probably going to average so many degrees above the air temperature. Say 140° operating at 60° air temp, 160° at 80°, something like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Was just curious if these EZTs are really able to handle all the revrsing during zero-turning. But I will get a cheap infrared thermo and try as you suggested when the air temps are similar. It seems that my sense of speed is a bit skewed and i think I go a little faster than i would with the tractor (a little faster than walking pace 3-3.5 mph maybe) so possibly run them a tad harder than the K46 in the Cub.

Even if I mow in laps like a tractor the convenience of the ztr comes at the center of the yard where I can 180 and finish it as well as around trees so it still has its advantages.

Now can't wait till the grass grows again to give it another shot. :tango_face_grin:

PS both hydros felt the same so it seems they heat up similarly eliminating a possible problem unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.