My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
You may have to wait an hour or two until your registration goes through.
Meanwhile welcome aboard and we have some LB experts around who will be glad to help! :2th:

I'll delete your other thread to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
getting a jump on slow electrons on this website. . .

OK, I can't wait for the website to authorize so I am using this backdoor way to post my info. . .

I have a lawn boy (10656), elec start and it has become hard to start when cold, the last year. Will ONLY start manually, elec start just grinds a bit and no coughing from the Honda.

I have had to resort to starting fluid-- pulls 1st pull NOW! Hand pulling wears out your arm. I rebuilt the carb, fresh high octane gas, plug is gray, dry. Once started it restarts during grass cutting easily, but takes a few seconds to come up to speed.

I have my suspicions what is wrong but don't want to say. . . Ideas?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hard starting

The starter motor, seems to be turning, but it is not making the engine cough. I have no experience with small engine elec starters but it is like the solenoid on a car engine is not pulling in to even crank the engine. . . STILL, that is not even relevant.

The problem REALLY is that when pulled manually the engine barely coughs and starts only after you "warm" it up(!) by pulling so many times your arm is ready to fall off. My wife has some things to say about that. . . I want to keep her happy since she WANTS to cut the grass?! ha! Even when I try it is now nearly impossible to get a cough. Even if I ask it to bend over. Like I said, starter fluid works in ONE pull.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Why don't you pull the plug and check if it's carboned up or worn. Also, sometimes using high octane gas in old two strokes causes hard starting because of the higher temps required to achieve combustion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hard starting

Yep, its about 10 yrs old is all and like I said in first part of post, plug is dry, gray and looking good. I checked and tweaked the plug gap, pretty much right on. IT SHOULD start fine. . . but.

Ideas?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Does it have an automatic choke? If so, check the control linkage on the carb and make sure that it's not unhooked or damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
auto choke, yes

Yep, since I just removed the carb and re-built it, I was forced to remount it and all the linkage, correctly, I believe. It appears there is a little leaf like bar that operates the choke. You pull the choke out for 1st pull and it slowly recedes after pulling once or twice. Regardless if the engine actually runs.

I could only install the carb in a very particular way so there was no interferences and all was operating but cannot verify for SURE that leaf bar is in there correctly. No diagram available that I know of for model 10656.

Here is the deal: I have been holding off telling my suspicions, but since you have not offered a guess, I have to say: I think the rings are worn and the "problem" is low compression. Not enough energy stored in a cold compression to get her to go. I was hoping to get an objective, non-prejudiced opinion, but had to release. . . !

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I just bought a vintage model 8403 commercial. It looks very original has all decals, paint is very good. Show very little wear. I started to mow a bank and running along the side it would die. Like running out of fuel. Put it on flat ground and hit prime it fires right up. I'm thinking the float need adjusted. Any ideas. Sorry about the post not sure how this site works.
Welcome to the site! I'll move your post to a new thread!

Yep, since I just removed the carb and re-built it, I was forced to remount it and all the linkage, correctly, I believe. It appears there is a little leaf like bar that operates the choke. You pull the choke out for 1st pull and it slowly recedes after pulling once or twice. Regardless if the engine actually runs.

I could only install the carb in a very particular way so there was no interferences and all was operating but cannot verify for SURE that leaf bar is in there correctly. No diagram available that I know of for model 10656.

Here is the deal: I have been holding off telling my suspicions, but since you have not offered a guess, I have to say: I think the rings are worn and the "problem" is low compression. Not enough energy stored in a cold compression to get her to go. I was hoping to get an objective, non-prejudiced opinion, but had to release. . . !
Usually bad compression will manifest itself as an inability to start or severe power loss, rather than hard starting. Sometimes the compression release on these engines fails, causing the motor to be really hard to crank, but that doesn't sound like your problem. Since it works good on starting fluid, I think the issue is somewhere in the fuel system. I'd pull it a couple times, without pulling enough to start it, and then look at the plug. If it's not wet, the problem is definitely in the fuel system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts