My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a Toro Personal Pace Recycler. Am considering either that again or a Honda. In either case, we want electric start in addition to self propulsion. I'm leaning toward Honda for the fact it doesn't need frequent recharging. We mainly use a walk-behind for trimming and my wife likes to do this, but she has a new knee and we both are getting to the age of "less effort equals less pain." Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to MLF, glad to have you. :)
There are a few Honda guys here who will offer up some words of wisdom here shortly. Either way they are both decent brands. Enjoy your time here and welcome.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Hi, and welcome to MLF.

Both Toro and Honda mowers receive high marks. They are consistently ranked in the top five multiple speed mowers by Consumer Reports. I personally have an electric start Honda mower and love it. But then, it's getting near 20+ years old, so all I can do for you is attest to it's longevity, but the model (HR215HMA) I have is no longer available so really doesn't qualify me to tell you how great todays Hondas are, or might be for you.

I just took a quick look at the owner's manuals of both Toro's Personal Pace with electric start, model 20334 and one of Honda's models, the HRX217VLA. I chose to look at those because both are self propelled with variable drive systems, and both obviously have the electric start you're wanting.

Toro says to give the battery an initial charge of two hours, and then every 25 days or so. From that, and without further research, I would gather that the Toro does not carry it's own means of charging the battery while the engine is running. The relative inconvenience of having to plug it in once every 25 days or so is a personal choice.

Honda's manual says the mower has it's own internal charger, and instructs the operator to start the mower for the first time using the manual recoil starter. After that, no charging is necessarily required, but they do offer an optional charger if one is desired.

I always recommend buyers considering new mowers to visit their local dealerships, if they have them, and ask to give the machine they are considering a test drive. You just might find that one feels right, while the other doesn't.

Hope you keep us posted on your decision.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

In terms of a new mower, Have you checked out Ariens? They are half the price of Honda and Better value for money than Toro In My Opinion..

Snow Blowers, Zero Turn Mowers, Riding Lawn Tractors | Ariens Equipment

bwdbrn1 said:
I always recommend buyers considering new mowers to visit their local dealerships, if they have them, and ask to give the machine they are considering a test drive. You just might find that one feels right, while the other doesn't.
I agree totally.. Go the a dealership, take a look at the mowers available.. Most Dealers will even let you take the machine out for a "Test drive" During summer months..

-Stan :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome to the site!! The guys are giving you very good advice!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Glad you joined up! I'm a Honda man myself, but Capstan's suggestion of an Ariens is a good one, if they're available in your area.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to MLF, thanks for joining!

It looks like some excellent suggestions have been brought forth.

Let us know if you have any questions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts