My Lawnmower Forum banner

New Member with Noisy Transaxle

479 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ectex1963 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I've owned a 2007 TroyBilt Super Bronco for 12 years, it had sat mostly unused for nearly 3 years when I acquired it, and after a major tune-up, I have never had any major problems. Worn belts, bad idler pulley, etc. I am a meticulous maintenance nut. Some time back the transaxle started whining. A lot of searching on the internet ended with several different causes, worn gears, bad bushings, and finally, after a conversation with a local mower parts house employee, he told me it had to do with the grease in the transaxle. He said that after a period of time the grease thickens and no longer moves to the lower part of the housing and the main gear goes lacking causing the whining. He told me a common fix was to drill a hole in the upper housing and add some 00-grade lubricant to it. He said this will flow and should quieten the noise. My question is where to drill the hole so as not to damage anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, ectex1963

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.