My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there,

New member here with good mechanical ability, but lack with diagnostic talents.

I have a Craftsman 19.5 HP electric start 42" mower automatic lawn tractor that was given to me. Serial # 0111000009366.

It starts hard, but when running, runs well until I shut it off. It will not start again for until the next day.

Rebuilt the carb, changed the fuel filter, and spark plugs.

If anyone has any ideas of the next step, I would appreciate it.

I want to know if it's worth keeping or junking.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to MLF!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like you've already emliminated some key possibilities.

If it were me, I would check to see what kind of spark it's getting. It could be intermittent meaning a corroded or bad connection somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Hi Tom357, welcome to MLMF, glad to have you join us.

I don't know how much help this will be to you, but I was just talking to the mechanic at my local Toro dealer yesterday, and asking about a Briggs and Stratton that I'm currently working on that is hard to start.

Like you, I've cleaned the carb and replaced gaskets and seals, new plug and air filter, but it was still hard to start. The mechanic suggested I check the coil. He told me that a coil that has gone bad can cause hard starting, and it tends to get worse after the engine has been running and gets warmed up.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Better late than never but, :welcome: Tom. I think the guys are right about the coil from what you described. Be sure to let us know what you find and enjoy the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts