My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to lawn tractors and bought a lightly used 20 hp LT2000 Craftsman 42 inch mower and I have a few questions, well plenty. But for now I notice when I cut my St Augustine grass( highest setting on mower) that there appears a strip of grass that is higher than the others. What can cause this and how can I fix it please?
Sid

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to MLF Sid. Sounds like your deck may be un-level or you may have a bent blade. Another option is uneven tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sid :howdy:

If it were me, I'd start with the basic punch list first. Raise the deck to the highest point, and if you have a scissors or floor jack, even better - check the condition of your mower blades. It sounds as though one may be slightly bent (or perhaps two). Might want to check and make sure the blades are installed correctly and not up side down (lol...that's happens far more often than many realize).

Good luck :ThumbUp:

Mark

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Where is the strip of grass? I'm guessing the 42" deck has two blades, so is the strip the right or left blade? Or one side of one of the blades?

I actually bent a blade once when it hit an old fence post buried in the deep weeds, causing the left side of the left blade to cut lower than the right side of the left blade, and the entire left blade cut just a little lower lower than the right blade. I ended up replacing the mandrel and the blade and everything is fine.

I had another case once on an olde Deere were the blade star alignment slots were not lined up perfectly, but tightened anyway, leaving that blade about 1/4" lower than the other two blades.

Park on level ground, better yet a concrete driveway or slab. Raise the deck all the way. Lie down and get a good view under the deck. Get a 6" ruler or something, and see how uniform the depths of the blades are as you rotate them by hand, stopping to measure at different position.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome! The guys are on right track! Check those area first! We noticed Craftsman decks are staggered spindles, one higher than other? Maybe makes it worse if hangers are out of align?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts