My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a Lawn Boy R7268 and restored it. Seemed like a good idea to jump aboard here.
After years of using cookie-cutter B&S powered push mowers, I decided I needed something "different" after recently trashing my MTD push mower.

I was doing an elderly neighbor a favor when I hit a chunk of iron pipe in his yard and severly bent the crank on the MTD. The MTD has an OHV engine and it looked like buying a new short block was the only option to fix it correctly. With a price of over $200 for the parts, that was out of the question.

While looking at buying another new 4 stroke mower from a big box store, the memory of a Lawn Boy 2 cycle that my grandfather owned came back to me. Once I started doing a little investigating, I knew that was what I wanted.

I looked around locally on CraigsList, etc, but the only things I found were in really poor shape. I decided to pay a few bucks more on eBay for one that was in decent shape and a good candidate for restoration. I laid my hands on a nice R7268, which came complete with a bagger and even the original owners manual. I tore it down, ordered some new parts and within a short time had it about 90% restored.
It is now in service and I'm loving it. I've had a few neighbors give it second looks and one thought it was brand new and wanted to know where he could buy one like it. I told him that they can't be bought new anymore (thanks to Al Gore and his brethren), but that I'd keep my eye open for another candidate for restoration.

(I put some pictures of my R7268 in the photo gallery)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
:welcome: to MLF! We're glad you joined!

That's really neat that instead of buying a new mower, you found something more unique and special and restored it. Definitely more interesting and fun to use instead! :cool

Would love to see some photos of your machine!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Welcome to the group; you've found a great place to discuss lawnmowers at!

Your restoration looks immaculate! My neighbor has a LawnBoy that is almost the same as yours that he doesn't use. I've been wanting to ask him if he'd sell it to me, but I don't seem to have the time lately for another lawnmower project...

Enjoy your time around here!

^BTW Austen, the pics are in the photo gallery^

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
:welcome:to MLMF! Keeping the old ones running is just plain the right thing to do. Looks like you did a fine job on the old gal. Look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
^BTW Austen, the pics are in the photo gallery^
Wow, that looks AMAZING!! I'm blown away!

Very well done for sure and I second Wayne, it's immaculate. You can definitely tell pride and work that you put in to it. What's even better is that you get to enjoy it because you use it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts