My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Just picked up an M21ZPRD (K serial number) a couple of weeks ago because my 80's snapper hi-vac was having issues. Wasn't looking to get another mower (have an old 70 bobcat commercial push mower that has an aluminum deck) just a motor to repower the snapper. Well next thing you know I find a guy 70 miles away selling a LB for $60. It did not have a tank but compression was >100psi and I had the day off that friday. Picked up the mower and discovered it was missing spacers/bolts for the housing, flywheel brake pad material was gone and there was no spark. Again, I was just interested in the motor, which I was planning on swapping on the snapper but I could not bring myself to do it. Instead I decided to restore the LB to at least running/working condition. So I replaced the coil/plug ($15), fabbed some aluminum spacers on my lathe, made my own flywheel brake pad and attached it using brake liner adhesive (total cost in material $20 and enough to make +20 more) and found a tank kit on SEPW ($110 but I have seen just coils go for +$50 on ebay)..along with a NOS gas cap on ebay. Anyways toredown and cleaned everything and it runs. My buddies think I am touched in the head but man I love how light this mower is and the 2 cycle motor reminds me of my youth. Back when I was a teenager my dad had a LB which was given to him but he eventually got rid of it because he was not a fan of 2 stroke mowers. I also love that it is as simple as it gets...no gears, belt, oil pump...like a weed wack on wheels.

Anyways, I have been lurking the web trying to find out more info and found this forum. So I figured I would join and share my story. I was planning on stripping down the deck but honestly I like the imperfections...gives it character. I do plan on getting some metal wheels but for now the original ones seem to work and not wobble too much. Now I am thinking about getting rid of my snapper (heavy pig with the starter, self drive and plastic bin type grass catcher) and bobcat (in the process of restoring).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW if anyone is interested in how I repaired the flywheel brake, just let me know and I will take some pics and give details on the material/adhesive I used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts