Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I will nonetheless.

Has anyone ever used the company by the name of Power Equipment Direct to purchase any mowers? If so what was you expereince with them? The reason I ask is because I need to replace my walk behind mower and was thinking of purchasing it through this company.

Kenneth

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's a big warehouse company. They will sell it and ship it. They will talk to you on the phone. They will exchange emails with you. They will not service or repair your machine. They will refer you to a local authorized repair shop, which sells the same stuff. You will have no leverage and will be put at the back of the line for whatever you might need. You will also be responsible for assembly in some cases and with putting the oil in it. I don't think it's that good a deal. Buy from a dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a big warehouse company. They will sell it and ship it. They will talk to you on the phone. They will exchange emails with you. They will not service or repair your machine. They will refer you to a local authorized repair shop, which sells the same stuff. You will have no leverage and will be put at the back of the line for whatever you might need. You will also be responsible for assembly in some cases and with putting the oil in it. I don't think it's that good a deal. Buy from a dealer.
Thank you for your input. I'll probably purchase my next mower from a dealer close to me MAC Equipment.

Kenneth

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I have to agree with Python's input.

While you might save some money by purchasing online, you won't have the support and other benefits from buying at a dealer. Sometimes dealers will offer incentives as well in terms of services and parts and can also assist with any warrantee issues which could potentially be more of a hassle with an online store.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yep, you're more likely to get friendly and competent service from a local dealer who sold you the equipment in the first place. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
The price might be inviting, but getting a dealer to recognize it, even if they're on a list of authorized dealers, could be problematic. Nothing like having a good relationship with a dealership as time goes by, and the best way to do that is to start out buying from one.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm not a fan of PowerEquipmentDirect.. Or any of it's spin-offs (LawnMowerDirect, SnowBlowerDirect Etc..) They sell things supposedly at "Warehouse Prices" But a lot of the time, it's cheeper to buy from a dealer or even direct from the manufacturer (For example, Briggs and Stratton).

-Stan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the great feedback on my inquiry. As all of you have made it very clear to me I may save a little money up front but could lose that savings on the back-end plus be behind the eight ball when I need the mower most. So, this early spring I'll be purchasing a new lawnmower from MAC Equipment for sure.

Kenneth

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to buy a power washer thru them a few years ago. My dealer did not stock better quality medium sized washers. It was a great experience. Assembly took an hour. I added engine oil (included with washer), installed handles, wheels and hose fittings, and went through a check list to make sure all bolts and spark plug were tight. I read thru the 2 very detailed detailed manuals. The deal included a cover, extra wash nozzles, hoses, a starter kit of detergents, and anti-freeze for storing washer. I cost me less than one siding wash job on my house. I use it to wash driveway, house, deck, cars, outdoor power equipment, my boat, friends' boat...

As for user friendliness and service provided by local power equipment dealers: Here in northern VA all local repair shops now insist you drop off a machine, and they keep it even if they can't service it for 2-4 weeks. No appointments. No exceptions. Even if you bought it from them, which is increasingly rare. In this area fewer shops are selling home equipment, its commercial use sales only. Many repair shops come and go, almost at will. Several have abandoned the shop/store, and offer only a mobile service. I can't blame them as rental space seems to be getting quite pricey. I was so disappointed when the guys I'd bought stuff from and used for repairs for 20 years went out of business.

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I will nonetheless.

Has anyone ever used the company by the name of Power Equipment Direct to purchase any mowers? If so what was you expereince with them? The reason I ask is because I need to replace my walk behind mower and was thinking of purchasing it through this company.

Kenneth

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Nothing worse than having to find a new reliable source for repairs. It take s a long time to develop a trusting relationship with a shop.

Hope you can find a new service center for your equipment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel for the small business that tries to sell and service residential power equipment. The big box stores have taken the profit out of selling equipment to the regular residential market. The big stores and harry homeowner buys by price/features. Reliability rankings are hard to find (and subject to massive opinion making). So manufacturers build machines with more features at the lowest cost. Because reliability and repair ability are not important, repairs become more frequent and costly. My old repair guy said customers often abandon a machine once they got the estimate. When he went out of business he had a warehouse full of repairable mowers but the repairs would have cost half or more of the cost of a nice shiny new pile of plastic sold at one of Northern Tool/ Tractor Sup/Wally's/Low's/HDepot etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It is called greed & laziness.

They play on the worst base characters of the human species.
I always find it dissapointig that the wealthier we get the greedier and more selfish we get.

It is great to bragg to ones friends about how clever we were in finding a product that was $ 10 cheaper than the bloke who donates $ 1,000,000 worth of his time supporting the local sports teams / charities / churches/ youth unemployment etc etc was selling them then wonder why he closes down.

I have only one thing to say about internet discount brokers PARASITES.
And this is not sour grapes, I do not sell whole goods just do mobile servicing.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I am going to close this thread as it seems to be going south.

Just for future reference, the purpose of this forum is to learn about power equipment and share helpful tips and information to help our fellow members.

Most of us come here as a place to get away from all the problems of the world and immerse ourselves in this unique hobby that we share and fellowship with like minded people.

Please keep this in mind in the future when posting in the forums.

Thank you
FP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.