My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never, ever, ever did I think I would even consider owning a Honda.. but like a kid in a candy store, I couldn't help but thing of the old beat-up HR sitting in the local scrapyard. Picked it up today. It's an HR-214-GM. Got it with the bag, discharge chute, and also another Honda bag and chute for 5.00 The carb had gunk up to the rim of the bowl. Scraped it out, just blew some air through the carb.. came right to life! What could be wrong with it, then? Surely the clutch is shot.. I push the handle, and the blade starts immediately! Gearbox then? Squeeze the handle.. takes off. It needs a shifter cable and tires, but I mowed my back yard and I am impressed. It hasn't got the charm of an old Toro or LB, but dang it's rugged. One hole, between the chute and transmission cover. Quiet too. Drive is slipping and I haven't gotten second to work.. but it only burnt a cap-full of gas in that time I ran it. No smoke that seemed noticeable, and I was running leftover 2 stroke..:sorry: So, I'm new to these in particular. What should I do to it? Obviously check oil in the transmission and engine, general engine service.. but is there anything to do to the clutch or tranny, or drive shaft maybe? I'm a maintenance nut and don't want to mess something up.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Congrats on your new mower! A $5.00 Honda, no matter the condition, is a steal IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
:pics:We want pictures!:pics:

Wow, the chute and bags, if they have the "racing stripe" down the sides, are hard to come by.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Honda stuff;
A very clean chute.. dunno what it's for, the matching bag too.
The HR-214 was sitting in that corner of the lot so long it took half an hour to move enough others out of the way to get it out. Approximately since 1999 or so. There was another Honda, but nothing special. In a side shed, I found two working spare coils and other random bits. So far the HR needs a shifter cable and spring, tires, and general maintenance. A little rot, not much paint left. Here's some pictures. I don't quite know what the other bag and chute are for, I believe they were called HS mowers maybe?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:pics:We want pictures!:pics:

Wow, the chute and bags, if they have the "racing stripe" down the sides, are hard to come by.
All the bags I found had stripes, however the only one that would fit on the HR was the rough one, naturally. Still usable for now, bit it's seen better days. I think there is another almost new one in a side shed somewhere, but there's so much to look through, and it could literally be buried anywhere..

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Cool stuff you got there! They had the racing stripe early on. Replacement bags can be had, but they simply have Honda printed on them without the stripes.

That bag in the upper left hand corner could be for an HR21. Next to impossible to find now a days, you will see the difference when you compare it to the one for the HR214 in the lower left hand corner of pictures.

That chute is a very early metal one. Again, rare as heck to find one. There is supposed to be a metal piece bolted to those two holes in the front of it. The metal piece was the hook that held it to the deck of the mower, and it came with 4 holes in it. One set was marked 19" and the other set of holes marked 21", depending on what size deck you were putting the chute on. That clamp thing at the back fit over the bottom edge of the door on the back of the deck when you swung it open. Look at the door on your HR214, there may be scratches in the paint from having one of those attached to it. The plastic chute you have there in one of those pictures is the newer version of side discharge chutes.

I've posted some threads elsewhere about service things for the HR214. The only way to check the oil in the transmission is to remove it from the mower and split it in half.

The HR214 came in three versions. A HR214PX, push, HR214SX, two speed, and HR214SM, two speed with electric start. That silver tag on top of the deck just ahead of the opening on the back will have some designation like you mentioned earlier, HR214GM. I've yet to find out what those last letters mean, but they aren't the model number, and have nothing to do with what we as consumers need to know about these mowers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uhh.. update. The Honda ran great doing the back yard yesterday.. so I decided to give it a test to 1, see if 2nd gear worked. If that worked, rig up a temporary cable and do a neighbors lawn with it. Went to start it, nothing. Remembered the gas shut off, turned it on.. (Facepalm), sputtered once.. and wouldn't fire again. Primed the carb with a little gas, fired and died. Messed with it for the next 15 minutes.. decided to pull the plug on the carb.. water! It drained for a good two minutes before turning to gas.. somewhat. Fired right up, ran a little funky, but it ran. I cant figure for the life of me how that happened. Used the same gas in my 'Zuki Toro and my Wheel-Horse and they both ran that day, and ran fine after. The mower was in a dry shed and hadn't moved since the previous night. I always use Star-Tron in the gas, and something else I can never remember the name of. How the heck did this happen!? Anyway, I need to find a shift cable and spring, and the diagrams on the internet don't show it.. anyone know the number for the 2-speed cable?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats just it, every diagram I see for an HR214 has just two cables on the handle, drive and blade. I have four. One for the clutch, one for the blade, one for the shift, and one for throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
lucky, 2 stroke wont hurt it especially in an unknown engine its not a bad idea to run 2 stroke through it. you should go and get the other bags

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
My grandfather used to dump his old remnants of mix into his gas tank back in the day. Wouldn't do it to a modern car with MPI or DI, but I reckon it won't hurt a little in small engine.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Thats just it, every diagram I see for an HR214 has just two cables on the handle, drive and blade. I have four. One for the clutch, one for the blade, one for the shift, and one for throttle.
That's because the throttle and shift cable aren't shown on the handle bar diagram. They are listed with under theThrottle Lever (2) diagram. The part number for the shift cable is:

54520-VA3-801

54520-VA3-801 HONDA CABLE, CHANGE (Honda Code 1618057)

Before you go buying one, make sure you have gone through the steps to properly adjust it. The procedure is explained in the owner's manual, page 34.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31VA3040.pdf

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adjust it? So if I adjust it the cable will reconstruct its self?:sarcasm: The cable was all rusted away and snapped as soon as I tried to move it. Dunno how I missed that diagram.. feel sorta silly now. Thanks! Soon I'll be using it again, being a 1950's-60's fan, I dunno what to think of it just yet. :bag:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Ah, well then, all the adjusting in the world won't do a thing for you, unless you just like turning a wrench for practice.

I sure wish I was closer to that scrap yard. I'd be all over the Honda stuff for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, there isn't a whole lot of Honda stuff there really, mostly Toro and LB. There was one newer cheap-o Honda there and a few bags, at-least, that's all I ever found.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
The bags can bring a premium, especially the older ones and their frames.

I'm sure I could spend a good day poking around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts