My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here trying to figure out which mower is best for me. Just bought my first house and trying to figure which is best for me, reel mower or just a regular mower. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Welcome to the forum; we're glad to have ya here!

How big is the lawn at your new home? Reelmowers are 'green' and provide an exellent wieghtloss and exercise program, however it takes more time and energy to operate a reel mower than a regular lawnmower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yard is not too big, it's only a 6500 sq ft lot. It's flat with no wierd curvature.

I'm all about the exercise, but I was looking at the gas powered reel mowers. :D
Is one style of mower better than the other?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
The reel-type lawnmowers do have a better cut quality than the rotary type. I can't really say much more than that, but if I had a were in your shoes I think I would go for the reel mower just because it's different from what everyone else has.:D

Here is one of many websites that may have helpful info for you.

Choosing a Lawn Mower

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Welcome to MyLawnMowerForum. I'm sure we can give you some information that you'll find helpful in making your decision.

Seems like you've done some research. What motorized reel mowers are you considering?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to MLF! :)

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Goodmorning ms4972. Both of those certainly seem to offer great machines. I'm sure you've read many articles about the advantages and disadvantages of reel mowers vs rotary mowers. The biggest drawback I can think of would be the maintenance of the cutting reel compared to the maintenance involved for a blade. Another short coming might be the height of cut. The Mclane reel adjusts from 1/2" to 2 1/2" while Hondas range from 3/4" to 4" depending on the model.

After reading your first posts, I looked for information on new reels, and found Mclane's site. They do look impressive, and offer a choice of engines and features.

Though I can't speak first hand of experience with a Mclane, I have been a fan of Honda rotaries, and Honda engines, for quite a long time. The mower I use is a Honda 21" rotary and I'm very satisfied with the cut and overall performance of the mower.

Another couple of things to consider in buying a mower would be the proximity to good service, and availability of parts. Honda of course has a dealer network in place, and they've recently struck up a deal with John Deere to be sold at their dealers. There are a number of outstanding online parts dealers for Honda parts as well. The Mclane site does offer a search for dealers, and online parts, they're made in the U.S.A. and the company has been around for a very long time. I obviously don't know about your location, but looking at the Mclane, the primary disadvantage for me would be the distance to the nearest dealer in the event I needed service on it.

Hope my long windedness has been helpful. I know I look forward to hearing about your choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts