My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking to buy a new riding mower for my landscaped 1/2 acre lot and 1 acre "field" (just sperratic wild grass and weeds at present time) in Southern Ontario Canada . I know I should be push mowing but I like toys lol. Anyways i'm not looking to break the bank on something i'm only really using 6-7 months a year so ideally i'm looking at a machine under $2000. I really dont know whats any good when it comes to these machines. Apparently MTD makes most of the machines now and they are junk? I've heard nothing but bad things about the new JD's. Should I be looking for a few year old JD? I've heard simplicity and toro are still decent machines. I dont need big power or a huge deck as both are fairly level lots and a have an atv for doing anything more then light towing. looking for reliability and durability more than anything. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Welcome to MLMF JeffD, glad to have you join us. I suppose the saying, "they don't make em' like they used to", comes to mind here. Lots of good used units out there to be had. All the brands you mentioned have built good machines, and I'll step out of the way now so those with more knowledge about them can chime in.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:welcome: Welcome, JeffD! In terms of reliability and durability, MTDs are at the bottom of the pile. The 100 series JD " big box" store tractors aren't that great, and a used JD like a 300 series would be much better. Heavier frame, stronger transmission, MUCH better engine (Kawasaki FR vs a mildly upgraded Briggs Intek). Simplicitys are nice and heavy, but use the same engines as the lower-end JDs, as do the Toros.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts