My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am Julia. I am trying to find what seems like the holy grail of searching. I am not big with tractor or anything yet, trying to learn how to run a few but my biggest thing is i need help trying to find the worth of my Craftman, and hope that i can get some help when i post in the threads, thanks :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

Where could i ask A few questions about my craftman,
I am selling is to my son in law and i am wondering if its as old as he says it is, i acquired from the loss of my grandmother, and he says it 11 years old but im not sure if it quite that old. but he has it at he moment and my husband deleted the photos of it, and i have just one , i believe it is a ys 4500, im trying to figure out the dates they started manufacturing them. its obvious i may need some help
i am trying to not get the son in law mad at me by questioning him.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
You can start a post in the Craftsman forum about it.

Craftsman / Sears - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

The numbers off the engine might also give a clue of the manufacture date. Maybe your already aware of it but Sears has a parts website that you can look up parts and manuals (which might have a date on them) but you will probably need to the xxx.xxxxxx Sears model number to get very far there.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Hi Julia, welcome to MLF.

Like Mark said, the numbers on the engine will help track down the age of the tractor.

So far as value, that sort of depends on a number of factors. Like you suggested, the age is one, the overall condition, and what the known maintenance of the tractor is. By that I mean if you know it was regularly looked after with oil changes when they should be done as opposed to nobody ever even took the dip stick out.

One thing you can do to give you a better idea of value is take a look at the old stand bys like Craig's list and ebay. Search for and look at models similar in features like yours and see what others are asking on the Craig's List closest to you and in surrounding areas. You can look in the farm+garden section, the general section, or just enter some key words like Craftsman, Sears, garden tractor, and such in the search box.

On ebay, you can look for and watch ones currently up for sale, and you can also look at completed items to get an idea of what they've sold for.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts