My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, glad i found this forum.
I want to try to fix the lawnmower on my own this time, instead of paying someone to clean the carb for me as i did 5yrs ago.

The problem i am having is the lawnmower runs for about 2-3 minutes after priming it, then it dies, i prime it again, 2-3 it dies, its an endless cycle. Super Frustrating.
I have a Weed Eater/ OHV 550 140cc model 961380017
So far i have tried to run without a the gas cap/air filter to no avail.
Rebuilt the carburetor, thinking it was still bad, i decided to replace the carburetor/plug and gas lines, yet the problem is still present
Spark plug gap is set to 0.030
Thinking it was the a clog at the end of the gas tank, i ran a flow test and there is no clog.

I am out of ideas, any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
201 Posts
what i would do is get some WD-40 in trigger spray bottle, not a aresol can. with the engine running, soak down the area around the carburetor, mounting gaskets at the engine block, if the engine completely stalls, engine RPM changes or blows white smoke, there is a failing gasket that is not sealing properly, sucking in excess air and causing the engine to run very lean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what i would do is get some WD-40 in trigger spray bottle, not a aresol can. with the engine running, soak down the area around the carburetor, mounting gaskets at the engine block, if the engine completely stalls, engine RPM changes or blows white smoke, there is a failing gasket that is not sealing properly, sucking in excess air and causing the engine to run very lean.
Didn't have any WD-40 in a spray bottle, only in aerosol. So i used the propane method that i have used in past with cars. There was no change in RPM's and the engine didn't stall. It did as usual die in 2 mins or so.
I'll go pick up some WD-40 and try the test that you described.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again scrubcade10. So I did the test that you recommended, and there was no change in rpms, nor did the engine stall before its usual 2 or so minutes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
what i would do is start it up, with the air filter off and have a can of starting fluid/Brake cleaner ready, when it sounds like it wants to start dying give it short bursts of spray right into the carburetor just enough to keep it running, if keeps running while you're spraying it we know that spark and compression are alright. Now stop spraying it. if it dies, it is definitely a fuel issue...
have you checked to see that there is actually fuel in the float bowl after it dies?

i did find a Manual for that engine (Rato 140cc)
untitled - Rato RV140.pdf untitled - Rato RV140.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what i would do is start it up, with the air filter off and have a can of starting fluid/Brake cleaner ready, when it sounds like it wants to start dying give it short bursts of spray right into the carburetor just enough to keep it running, if keeps running while you're spraying it we know that spark and compression are alright. Now stop spraying it. if it dies, it is definitely a fuel issue...
have you checked to see that there is actually fuel in the float bowl after it dies?
lots of great info here
i did check the bowl after it dies, and there was fuel in it.
i will check the pdf you included as well
thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scrubcadet10
thank you a million, i dont know what got my lawnmower going.
but i did as you suggested, sprayed the intake with what i had ( wd40 ) as it was dying, it rev'd back up and remained running
i let go off the handle, it went off, primed it 1x, it fired back up and i let it ran for 7mins straight, there was slight hesitation once or twice, but it kept on chugging.
i will go out and cut the lawnmower once i am done with work
thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts