My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Our staff have all been pitching in a hand with a re-organization/asset liquidation project at the Town Hall that I work at part-time and one of my tasks was to list this generator that was to be turned into surplus.

I had never actually seen this particular gen-set before as it was stored under a tarp ever since I've worked there; I always figured it was probably some really old worn out unit on its last legs. I had never heard it run or had any desire to check it out but now was going to be the time to determine its running state. After pulling the tarp off I realized that it wasn't quite what I was half way expecting to find. Things like "12,000 watts" and a v-twin 20hp engine caught my eye. Hmmm.

After giving it a good once over it was evident that it needed a really good clean up and contrary to my initial beliefs, had actually not been used all that much with only 77 hours displaying on the Hobbs meter. It had nearly a full tank of 8 gallons of the worst smelling yellowy varnish fuel that you could imagine combined with a fuel valve in the open position. Nice. I had very little expectations of it starting, especially with a battery that had been sitting flat for who knows how long. I hooked it up to a jump box, let it sit that way for a couple minutes, turned the key and she cranked over fairly quickly. A few more attempts at this and the speed of the cranking began to get quicker... and a little quicker until it began to cough. She fired off to my disbelief and the exhaust smelled like nothing this side of a petroleum burner. It surged pretty good for a couple of minutes until it was like somebody hit a light switch and whatever was clogged made its way out and allowed it run steady.

As I began looking it over and researching it, the more I liked it. This thing was beefy and built for a job site and not just an average lower end box store unit like the one we had at home. For nearly the same price we were going to list it at TH, our family could sell our newer 3550 watt generator for the same, or more. This could make for quite the replacement I thought. I floated this notion along to the home front and the idea of having electric start and the ability to pretty much run the whole house and then some... ,well, it was a quick sell.

I got it home earlier this past week and have been spending the past few evenings going all through her and cleaning it up as it hadn't ever seen anything like it before. It has required some additional funds for tune-up parts to get her back into service again, but for $200, I think it was well worth it and should be a heirloom with good care.

I'll post a short video of it running soon but I don't want to fire it again until I get some fresh fluids and tune-up parts in it first. It's the only v-twin out of my OPE so it's kind of neat to have that uniqueness to it.

Sometime down the road I plan to install a recoil system on it as a back up to the electric start.
I don't like having a battery as the primary starting source for starting a generator for obvious reasons and also a little surprised that it doesn't already have one installed.

I asked what year it is but nobody seemed to know but was told that when it was used it was serviced annually at a dealer which was promising to hear. I looked up the year of the engine and the first two numbers of the "Type" are '96', so by following the dating procedure on B&S's site, it's a 1996. I didn't know Briggs built Vanguards in the mid 90's but then after reading these generators were built between 1991-1996, it made sense.

The debris screen and the metal plate that surrounds the key switch had some rust spots on them so being the stickler that I am had to repaint those pieces.

Here are some photos of her all detailed out!

We're talking about the possibility of hooking it up as a standby as it has that capability and came with the hardware to do so but would have to figure out a place where to route the exhaust from the garage.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Now that my friend is a generator!! ;)
We bought a Briggs generator 800-12500 Kw I believe from TSC. Best money we ever spent. A 15.5 single I believe. Runs our whole mobile home.
You will get a lot of good use out of it! You are right to maybe set it up for NG or LPG, the big Briggs on ours eats gas some. The Super storm Sandy we had made finding gas stations with fuel and power real HARD! We were sweating it there!

Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Kind of makes you want to look under some of the other tarps around town hall. Super find there. It looks like a monster compared to the other generator.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
It's one of those things you really appreciate when you need them. Nice find and you did a nice job cleaning her up too.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that my friend is a generator!! ;)
We bought a Briggs generator 800-12500 Kw I believe from TSC. Best money we ever spent. A 15.5 single I believe. Runs our whole mobile home.
You will get a lot of good use out of it! You are right to maybe set it up for NG or LPG, the big Briggs on ours eats gas some. The Super storm Sandy we had made finding gas stations with fuel and power real HARD! We were sweating it there!
Nice!! Yeah, it's wonderful to have a machine that will power anything you want and not have to calculate the wattage on everything.

Kind of makes you want to look under some of the other tarps around town hall. Super find there. It looks like a monster compared to the other generator.
No kidding!

It's one of those things you really appreciate when you need them. Nice find and you did a nice job cleaning her up too.
Thanks and yup, you don't realize how much you can depend on one until the time actually comes.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Cleaned up to it looks next thing to new! Good find! :ThumbUp:

Definitely one of those things that when you need it you really need it. While back was doing some work for the county jail I was eyballing the oldie that sits in the basement with the steam boilers. I think they are still using it. Probably is how they keep the heat on throughout the building and the radios and security system running. If memory serves it had a 3-cylinder Perkins NG powered engine with a fan and little radiator on it. Should keep the approx 12'x20' room it was setting in nice and toasty along with the two big boilers running during a winter outage. :D I also saw some old 2-way base radios up in the attic I would like to have. I need more storage room. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
What a score and really nice piece of equipment, Austen!

After "Ike" and three weeks without power in our neighborhood, I hope to never be without a genny again. By a stroke of genius (OK, luck) I picked up a Flightline generator that was an old two cylinder diesel Onan. This was just weeks before the hurricane. This thing is huge being military but is equipped with lights and an air compressor.

All said and done, I would prefer something more like what you just acquired. It's a chore just to get mine in position and it does gobble fuel. But....:pics:

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned up to it looks next thing to new! Good find! :ThumbUp:

Definitely one of those things that when you need it you really need it. While back was doing some work for the county jail I was eyballing the oldie that sits in the basement with the steam boilers. I think they are still using it. Probably is how they keep the heat on throughout the building and the radios and security system running. If memory serves it had a 3-cylinder Perkins NG powered engine with a fan and little radiator on it. Should keep the approx 12'x20' room it was setting in nice and toasty along with the two big boilers running during a winter outage. :D I also saw some old 2-way base radios up in the attic I would like to have. I need more storage room. :dunno:
Thanks, not too bad!

Sounds like they are doing things the old school there!

Wow, that's a generator! You'll have no trouble running everything off of that. Nice find! :ThumbUp:
That's the plan!

What a score and really nice piece of equipment, Austen!

After "Ike" and three weeks without power in our neighborhood, I hope to never be without a genny again. By a stroke of genius (OK, luck) I picked up a Flightline generator that was an old two cylinder diesel Onan. This was just weeks before the hurricane. This thing is huge being military but is equipped with lights and an air compressor.

All said and done, I would prefer something more like what you just acquired. It's a chore just to get mine in position and it does gobble fuel. But....:pics:
Thanks Mark,

But that's a gen-set. I'd kill to have a diesel generator, and something like that would last forever too. :cool

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a short clip of it running after the tune up.

I also pried the limiter caps off the mixture screws, threw them away, and made a couple of small adjustments to eliminate the factory lean settings.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
That sounds great! Very quiet for an engine that big. They did a very good job of muffling it, and as usual, you've done a fantastic job of detailing.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sounds like my big guy!! I got to remember to take pic/video of it running next time! Cleaned up real nice and detailed like I would! ;) SWEET!

Reactions: Austen

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Sounds good! I think those older Vanguards were pretty solid. We have a 16hp vertical twin on the ZTR at work that has been put through H with little to no maintenance for 400 hrs and is still a good running engine. Starts first pull every time.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys,

Crossing my fingers this one will last a long time.

In terms of noise, it's not too bad. It is louder than our smaller one but not in a totally different league type of way.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Nice job Austen!

Been Looking for a Generator myself recently.. We have 2 Freezers in our basement full of food which I would loose if the power went out for over 3-4 Days (It never has)..

Not really looking for something that large, But Just a small thing.. I'm Thinking HONDA.

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice job Austen!

Been Looking for a Generator myself recently.. We have 2 Freezers in our basement full of food which I would loose if the power went out for over 3-4 Days (It never has)..

Not really looking for something that large, But Just a small thing.. I'm Thinking HONDA.

-Stan
For sure!

Might find some better deals after a couple of months or so from now, at least after the storms are out of everyone's mind as this type of season is when generator demand is the highest.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Right now, everybody around here is thinking "Sandy part 2!" We really don't want to have to got through that again! :eek: Anyway, I think you're on the right track with Honda; we have one, and it works great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts