My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mowed my lawn for 20 years with a rear deck on my TO 20 Ferguson. Not the nicest cut but mulched grass to fine pulp. We decided to get something to do a nicer job so got the Simplicity. Ok, works great but man those clippings, wow. I don't give a rats rump but the old lady is driving me nuts and I don't feel like shelling out 1300 for a blower bagger system.
With that in mind and the fact that this thing is OEM and has absolute wads of power to deal with answer me this. Is there a simple and not so pricey way to make this rigs clippings less problematic, obvious yadda yadda. Blades, plug the chute ect??????? The woman is gonna drive me nuts over darned grass clippings:help:.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Ask the Simplicity people. What's your budget? Mow more often. Blow the clippings off the yard with a great honking back pack blower. A big sweeper might do it. Especially if you have a place to dump it. Check out Agri-Fab stuff. Always lots of that stuff on Craigslist.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,693 Posts
:ditto:If gator blades don't solve the problem, you're going to have to get something to remove the clippings physically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Yea, I'll just have to try the gator blades and fab up a quick detach steel blocking plate for the deck. That's easy enough as I weld. I would have sprung for the bagger for $600 but no darned way I'm giving those guys $1300, just no way. Besides I can only imagine that's exactly where all that power I now have would g driving the thing. Hey, the Gator blades are well worth a try. I have a spare set of blades but the way my wife drives a mower there isn't a rock that's safe for miles. Anyways. that is next years problem as we are about ready for frost here now. Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it being almost Winter up here I only got to try it once and the grass had already stopped growing so it wasn't as long as I wanted it for a trial but it worked. All that was left was 2 very small strips along the sides of the deck that were hard to see and those were gone the next day. No big windrow of grass anymore. Not perfect but then I am not asking for perfect either just finer.
All I did was fasten a piece of 2x4 across the opening in the deck where the opening is. It's not permanent by any means but served proof of concept for me. This winter I will fab up a piece of steel which will mount right across that plate with a single bolt and zip tie. That way I can remove it when I get mowing long grass which I do on occasion. In addition I get to lose that stupid plastic chute sticking out the side that always wants to hit something . Then I will be able to mow close on both sides equally easily.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top