My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to this site, and found it by looking for some trouble shooting tips on small engines, very informative. I got a Sears Suburban 12 HP, with a roto spade a few weeks ago. I have a dilemma. The Tecumseh engine is no doubt heavy duty, it runs, but has carb. problems. Since parts are some what scarce, and pricy, wouldn't it be logical to put a new engine in. Isn't that money better spent, knowing it will be more reliable. Just wondering if anyone could steer me which direction I should go.

Thank You, john mc

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum John. You may get both sides of the fence when talking about repowering older, vintage equipment. Rebuild vs. Repower? It will ultimately be up to you in the end as you know what would be best for you. I'm sure some folks will jump in here with some thoughts. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome john!! I am on the fence of repairing the original engine. If it is just the carb, many are available on Ebay! What is wrong with carb? It is heavy duty built internally! Dad cleaned ours in the SS10 and it starts on second crank and idles at very low revs. You could always repower it and sell old parts, just my opinion of course! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's for the replies. It has a walbro LME-36 carburetor, and the main jet is pitted, where it is tapered, and I understand if you remove it, the corresponding ports wont line up. I have to run the engine almost full choke, so it's running lean, which is not good for the engine.

john mc

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Tecumseh Engines aren't that hard to get parts for.. At least in My Experience

You Could Simply Try turning the mixture screw out a bit to give it some more gas..

I Am Having issues with Partstree at the moment.. But I'm Sure I can find you a new Main jet..

-Stan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.K. Capstan, Thank You, parts are ordered. Right now it makes sense to spend a few dollars, rather than a few hundred. I don't mind tinkering with the engine or tractor, in fact I want to clean it, and give it a new paint job, at some point in time. Just want it to perform, when needed.

john mc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts