My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To buy this Craftsman for $50!!!!! No deck and changed engine, was a Kohler,now a twin Briggs. Wiring is a mess! Rats nest here and there. We hooked jump box and a little choke cleaner and fired right up! Any idea how old it is? We need to find a deck too!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm jealous! Congrats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2000-2006 ish

They were mostly all green up to 03. Some LTX Gold models....but mostly green from about 98-03. Silver before that. The darker gray came after the green with maybe some overlap. Then red and black ones.
I would guess it has to be at least an 04 model.
Wait...you posted pic of tag...

CAn't read the 2nd digit of serial but it is month 01-09... the 04th day of 01.
So 2001 model.
I really didn't think they made red ones this early.

I bet the Kohler got a little low on oil and chucked a rod...
Too common..even on the "High and Mighty" Command line.
I just repowered a Dixon 42 inch ztr hydro that had a kohler 18 that broke a rod. I put a Briggs Hoeizontally Opposed Twin like on this one..just an 18 hp.

Does it have power pto or lever?
If electric pto, make sure it is charging, get your rpms set accurately at 3600, and get a new high cranking amp batery for it...not one of those 195ca batteries. Get 325+
This briggs does not have the charging system the kohler had and you can run into trouble with it draining battery after mowimg for a long time with pto.
Probably doesn't put out enough amps to run pto and head lights at same time and still charge battery.
Unhook headlights or make sure to use swithc position that they are OFF.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I see good things for this one. You guys will have it sorted out and turned into a jewel in no time.

There sure aren't deals like that around my neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! We sold the Toro 268H on Ebay,guy came today for it. He left me ANOTHER Craftsman that has a rod type knock. Guess what, I have a 20HP Briggs intek from a Craftsman in shed!! ;) Now I is got two to fix, this one runs and moves!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Eric, Good things happen to good people! You got a $500.00 used machine for $50.00. And Looks great! you are always helping others in this forum, Great buy!!!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you airjose and motor! I am touched! :)
I just try to give back what everyone has done for us! We be needy sometimes! :)
LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts