My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lawnmower of 2 years is acting up. When I used it today the engine was revving the whole time. Why? What can I do to stop it???:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Hello and Welcome to MLMF, Bev248,

First thing that comes to mind is perhaps your air cleaner element is dirty/clogged? That often chokes off your air flow and causes too much fuel into the cylinder(s). That's where I would start anyway :).

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TY

Yes, it is speeding up and slowing down the entire time it is running. It is still cutting. I forgot to list that it is a troy built with a honda engine....It didnt do this the last time I used it....as I stated it is 2 years old and it is garage kept. So it isnt out in the weather...I hope this exta info helps you help me!! Thank you so much for your reply!!

Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok...

Also, might want to put a little carburetor cleaner in the fuel tank and let that work thru a bit. Might have some clogged jets. Keep us informed on the progress.
I have to make a trip to walmart today...I will get some in and see what happens...thank you so much for your reply...as a56 yr old single female I know a lot of nothing about lawnmowers...only until now, this lawnmower has performed great

have a great sunday!!

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Yes, it is speeding up and slowing down the entire time it is running. It is still cutting. I forgot to list that it is a troy built with a honda engine....It didnt do this the last time I used it....as I stated it is 2 years old and it is garage kept. So it isnt out in the weather...I hope this exta info helps you help me!! Thank you so much for your reply!!

Bev
Could be something as simple as the little vent in the gas cap being plugged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another possibility is a vacuum leak. (loose carb, cracked/disconnected hose etc.)

Vaccum leak will usually cause the engine to rev higher, and it may then be "bouncing off of" the govenor resulting in the speeding up and slowing down.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Don't worry, Bev248. There are quite a few things that can make your mower act like this, but I cannot think of a single one of them that is a major issue. All are simple fixes. Just have to find the right one.

While you mentioned you are not too mechanically inclined, have you changed the oil lately in the mower? Once again, a simple process, tho very important to the overall life of the engine (simple to do, too!)

·
1,329 Posts
Another possibility is a vacuum leak. (loose carb, cracked/disconnected hose etc.)

Vaccum leak will usually cause the engine to rev higher, and it may then be "bouncing off of" the govenor resulting in the speeding up and slowing down.
Im certainly not a small engine mechanic but I was thinking in the line with Joelk.
Welcome to MLMF, thanks for joining us:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts