My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm getting an "Easy Spin". Since it's a power propelled mower I'm thinking the "Easy Spin" is it's name and not a description or how smooth it works like a push mower might be. But you never know. Sure looks like one I bought new back in the 70's from Wards.
2.5hp reel mower.

Never heard of it before and can't find any info on it. Someone ... anyone ??

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
easy spin refers to the recoil starter and was used to advertise there recoil start engines from when the recoils with the clutch were introduced. that name was used until the early 80s i think. dont know much about the body of the mower

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe that the "easy-spin" moniker was a reference to their compression-release feature, which was implemented some time in the early 1960s by modifying the cam lobe so that the exhaust valve was slightly open until after the piston reached top dead center on the compression stroke.

When rebuilding my first B&S 3.0HP mower engine as a kid, I couldn't figure out why the exhaust valve had no clearance with the piston at TDC, so I 'fixed' it by grinding down the end of the valve (thereby defeating the compression release). And it was a crank-start mower. It would start with the engine cold, but after the engine was warmed up, forget it! I had to take off the crank-start cover and put on a pull-start instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts