My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep....I'm a old tractor guy, but my old Snapper RER needs rewired so I'm here to find help. I'm not really sure what model it is since it's been repainted and can't find any numbers on it. Need to find some wiring diagrams for it so I can get it ready to mow again next spring. Thanks for having me!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Can you post some pictures of your snapper to help us identify it for you? The model decal on the older ones are on the left side facing forward under the seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post some pictures of your snapper to help us identify it for you? The model decal on the older ones are on the left side facing forward under the seat.
Thanks for the quick reply.......I'll find my pictures and post them up today.
Dennis

·
1,329 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.......I'll find my pictures and post them up today.
Dennis
After I see pics, and or wiring diagram, I might be able to help with a harness for you. I have one that I have decided not to finish resto. on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snapper pics are here!

Here she is....someone liked green w/black flames, eh? :ROFL
The engine cover says it's an 8hp elec start Briggs. I've had it for two summer seasons now, and always started asap and ran great, but burns a little oil so I check it every week, and use BS oil, forgot the weight. If there is a specific or recommended oil that you guys like, let me know. I did change to a new mulching blade for my yard. It works fine for my needs. I change the oil and grease it good before winter storage under a cover in my backyard. I wish I had a shed or room in my garage for it, but I don't. In Sept. it was running pretty rough one day, and later noticed the throttle cable was a bit loose where it attaches by the carb. I think it was getting overly choked! I adjusted the cable a couple of times to where it seemed to be before when it was running smooth, and tightened it up. It ran fine again. Then a few weeks later about the time I was through mowing for the season it just died on me while mowing...like I turned the key off. I jiggled the throttle a bit to a lower speed setting, and it cranked and cranked for several seconds, like it was out of gas but wasn't, then it fired right up. This happened a couple of times again during that cut, then did it one more time just as I finished mowing and was just driving it back to my little storage area by my deck. It died again, and would not start after several attempts. Since I wasn't going to need it again until spring, I just pushed up the my deck and parked it. Fortunately I had already did my pre-storage oil change and grease job, so I pulled the battery and drained the gas....and covered it up for the winter. So....now that I've found this website, I want to do the research on what the problem might be. I feel it has something to do with that loose throttle cable issue....maybe there are adjustments I need to do. Seems there is a little wire under a screw in that area too. It sure acts like there's a loose wire somewhere, but I just haven't found it yet. Since I don't have a wiring schematic, I'm not sure where the issue may be. As you can see from these pics, this model is prior to the foot blade brake system, but I don't know if there are other safety switches or relays that activate or deactivate. I've read that some RER's have different types of safety devices on them, but not sure about mine since I don't know it's age or model number. I'd be interested in clutch adjustment procedures too. I'll definitely appreciate any and all feedback from this forum, although I probably won't actually work on the rider until in early 2014 when the weather warms up again here in So. Missouri. Thanks in advance......Here are some pics:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I see pics, and or wiring diagram, I might be able to help with a harness for you. I have one that I have decided not to finish resto. on.
Hey Doc.....you're not too far from me. Been thru your town a couple of times since I moved here to Clever.

Reactions: DrBailey

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Well it might be a later Comet, but I'm thinking an early series like a 1 thru 5 series. We have manuals in our library (Snapper Manuals - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum) of those series if you would like to research them. The manuals will also cover your adjustments as well. That might be the original engine as well. It was common for them to have an electric start feature as well as the redundancy of a pull start.

·
1,329 Posts
Im going to PM you my cell #, you get in the area again give me a shout. we can meet for a coffee or have a look at my junk. or both,:ThumbUp:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Doc,

FYI...update.....spent all winter researching and brainstorming on my BS engine that just died last fall. Today, I had a mobile mower service guy from nearby Nixa stop by to check it out. Greg checked all the electrical parts, and all worked fine...engine cranked easily and had good spark at the plug. He then pulled the air cleaner and checked the carb. The engine is a 1987 8hp Briggs, burns no oil, but he said the carb throttle parts were getting pretty worn and loose. So, he squirted a little new gas in the carb and I hit the starter button and that old Briggs fired to life. I was a bit amazed, but happy as **** to hear it running again. Greg pulled and cleaned the jet and adjusted the carb, and left me with a new plug to install too. For $40 I'd say I got a **** of deal for a home service. Needless to say, I learned a lot more about my old RER watching and helping Greg and made a new friend in the process. A guy with an old mower can never have too many good friends! ha Looks like I'm back in the mowing business as soon as my grass dries out today.

Greg told me to start looking for a good used carb for my 8hp BS engine, since they don't make them anymore. Sooooo, if anyone out there knows about any carbs for sale, or donation, let me know. Thanks

Be well....
Dennis
:2th:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Dennis, you could probably find one on Ebay used or new. Just make sure you match up the model # up. Yours may be rebuildable providing it's just the choke/throttle shaft that is worn and not the carb body itself. It may even have bushings that can be replaced in the body where the shafts go through.

Glad you got her going for the new season, thanks for the update!

·
1,329 Posts
hey Dennis, Im happy to hear that its running. I went down in back this afternoon looking at my motors, I have a real old 5 hp and the rest are 14 and up.
for the last 3 or more years I have been ooking for a carb for my 488 CASE, FINNALY I found one last week, I just finished test running it, it did good so far , think I can get some tilling done in the Garden tomorrow if the rain holds off. Give me som numbers and facts on the carb that you need , I will give it a try finding one. we will find one!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This message is for Dr.Bailey....

Hi Don......I just realized I don't have your email address, and tried sending you a PM. My email is [email protected]. Send something and I'll save yours too. I still want to come down for coffee some morning. I have my old Snapper running very well right now....knock on wood, eh? ha Finally got the kinks worked out of her.

I've been invited to a road trip this Sunday morning with a few other Clever gearheads like me....some with motorcycles, a couple of Corvettes, Mustangs, Challengers and maybe a Camaro or two. The organizer said we leave here at 8am...eat breakfast near Branson somewhere, then head south into Arkansas and across the Peel Ferry on Bull Shoals, then loop back home. I've never been down in that part of Ark. before, so I'm really looking forward to this cruise. I just hope I can get my Vette on that ferry without any issues. I sit very low! I hope it doesn't rain.

Be well,
Dennis Fixsen
Clever, MO

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your repair guy cleaned the jet and adjusted the carb...You may be good to go---except for possible choke not positioned correctly to fully close on start...lift the air filter, and check to see if the choke plate fully closes when you slide throttle lever fully to start position..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts