My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying another mower for my lawn mowing jobs.

Looked at this.

Rover - Lawn Mowers, Lawn Tractors, Ride Ons, Handhelds & More!

but bad news-the motor some bizzar make,and made in china :( :(

I have has many Rovers all good,with B/S motors never let me down.

Things look bad,will have to seek a refurbished one somewhere.What is the best advice re buying a new mower,that is NOT china made?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
a honda hrc216 hxa. you will spend 1249 but it is hands down the best mower you can buy for commercial use, except for maybe an aluminum deck toro. the engine on that rover is a pretty obvious knock off of a honda gxv160, the engine this mower has. the honda has a hydro, bbc, ball bearing 9 inch wheel, dual blades,and a drive shaft so no belts to wear out

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,thanks for that,will check that model out.

Had a look at some honda's here,but they had air filter low to ground,and 'bag' catcher.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I have a HRC216, and it's awesome. The hydro transmission is really good on hills, and the mower is built like a tank. With reference to the engine on the Rover mower, I can't see too well from the picture, but it really looks like the Chinese Honda clone engines that you find on newer Cub Cadets. They don't have a very good reputation for reliability.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have a HRC216, and it's awesome. The hydro transmission is really good on hills, and the mower is built like a tank. With reference to the engine on the Rover mower, I can't see too well from the picture, but it really looks like the Chinese Honda clone engines that you find on newer Cub Cadets. They don't have a very good reputation for reliability.
Thanks mate. Are they made in Japan,bit concerned a bit of Honda gear being made in China now :(

Just about to pull the trigger on this

Honda Buffalo Classic HRU216 Push Mower in Thornton, NSW | eBay

started a thread here

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...assic-hru-216-what-these-like.html#post262026

and as I posted you suggestion on very same honda came in !

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
The Honda mowers we have over here are made domestically (In the USA), but the engines are sourced from Thailand. I have several of the Thai Honda engines in different sizes/configurations, and all of them are reliable and have a high fit and finish. You can definitely notice a quality difference in comparison to the Chinese clone versions.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Actually, in racing, the Thai Honda engines are more highly sought after

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
You mean versus the Japanese Hondas? I don't think they make single cylinder GX engines in Japan anymore; not sure about the V-Twins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts