My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I just bought an old snapper push mower a couple weeks ago (think its a 78) and was told by the guy I bought it from he had changed the oil, cleaned and oiled the air filter, new plug, and replaced the drive belt. Well, the plug and belt do look new, but the air filter wasn't touched, and the oil looked awfully thin, like water. I took care of the air filter, but the oil was real metallic looking when I drained it, and super thin, even when cold. the engine runs great, doesn't make any unusual noises, and has a little end play in the crank, but no back in forth in the bearings. I got to thinking though, all the pictures I've seen of these with the 3.5hp briggs, show them with a dipstick tube, but mine doesn't have one, just the white plastic plug that threads into the fill hole in the bottom of the case that has the two little nubs on it you can stick a screw driver in to turn it off. I've only been able to find one other snapper like mine for sale on craigslist that had the same plug as mine and not a dipstick. I have the oil filled to the the threads for the plug, is this high enough, or is this thing supposed to have a dipstick tube and dipstick and have more oil in it? I can't use it until I get this straightened out. The snapper model # is V212P and serial # is 81020366. I'm not to sure on whether this is the original engine, or if the engine cover is different, as the sticker is all faded, but i swear I can make out 4h.p. on it, but the air filter when I look it up is said to be for a 3.0-3.5hp engine, and I don't think they used a 4h.p. on these until in the 80's sometime. The numbers off the engine cover are as follows- model # 92908, type # 1826 01, and Code # 77110208. Can anyone help me out? Don't wanna blow this thing up cause I didn't have enough oil in it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks motorhead. How did you come up with those numbers if I might ask? I tryed typing the numbers into briggs and strattons website to look up the manual for it, and they must have changed the way they do their model numbers some where along the line, mine isn't long enough.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I don't have exact info on that model yet but it is not uncommon for the older engines like that to not have a dip stick but just a plug like you described. The normal oil level would be up to the bottom of the threads.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
thanks motorhead. How did you come up with those numbers if I might ask?
Don't bother with the Briggs website! Doing a generic Internet search will show you that your particular model is rated at 3.5 hp. As to the 20 oz oil capacity, pretty much all Briggs lawnmower engines made in a long time have the same capacity, and I have never come across a lawnmower that holds less than 18-20 oz of oil.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Snapped a pic of the fill plug this evening. Judging by the whitness mark on the engine cover and the missing bolt, I'd say it used to have a dipstick and tube assembly. I also noticed there is no cover over the drive wheel for the self propelled unit. Anyways, I looked at the bottle of oil I used, and it looked like I only had about 15-16oz. of oil in it. It took some patience, but I got another 4 or 5oz. in it. I think I'll try to find a factory diptstick tube assembly, as the plug in it now doesn't look like a factory briggs part ( the ones ive seen usually have round nubs on them) and there is no oring, nor does it look like there is a relief for one. Thank you guys so much for all the help though. Can you guys recommend a descent place to find the parts I need? I'd let it go with the plug, but it does make it a pain to check oil with the bag and chute on, and like I said, I think this thing is going to leak without an oring on it. My local snapper dealer wanted $19 for a 32oz. bottle of the "00" grease, I can only imagine what they would get for a dipstick tube assembly:)

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
It isn't unusual for the drive mechanism on those to be uncovered.

I've been successful finding parts by first locating the part number of the part I'm looking for, and then doing a "Google" search of it. A number of places that sell that part might come up, then I can shop around for the best price.

Keep in mind that you will most likely have to pay shipping if you buy online, and if it isn't right for some reason, you'll have to pay to ship it back, so add that to the price and compare it to the price the dealer might charge for the same thing. It's always good to have a good relationship with a dealer as they just might offer up good advise on maintenance later on, and may just have what you are looking for out back somewhere for a good price. So what might seem like a high price to pay for one thing today may actually wind up being a bargain from what you get down the road.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got to use it for the first time this weekend. I had to order a governor spring for it as someone before me had the governor link on backwards and had the wrong spring on it (this is why I could barely throttle it back without it dying). put the link on the right way and put the correct spring on it, and now I can throttle it down to almost the shutoff point and she keeps chugging along. I'm happy with it so far. tall grass does bog it down, but hey, its only a 3.5hp briggs, possibly a 4hp. I do wish it had a bigger bag though, didn't take long to fill it. Might have to try and find a used Pac n Sac:) or is it Sac n Pac? I get dislexic sometimes:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow, thats not a bad price, I wonder if everything is there with it? I imagine shipping might be a killer though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts