My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....I've had 2 people get back to me, out of about 12, I've contacted through Craigslist about buying my first ride on mower. One is an Ariens, B&S 12.5hp model #927045 comes with bagger attachment, $250. The other a Craftsman,with B&S 19.5hp, also comes with bagger attachment $350. I had posted pictures of each on posts at new member page.Would appreciate any comments or suggestions. ....
Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Welcome to the world of Craig's List purchases. It can be even worse if you're selling something on it.

I looked at your other post, and saw that the Ariens also had a de-thatching attachment on the front. I've never used one on a rider, but had them on a couple of self-propelled walk behinds, and really liked the job they did. I'd run over the yard a time or two in the spring, and the bag would pick up what the de-thatcher dug up. So, for the Ariens, the de-thatcher with the bagger is a plus. Ariens is know for high quality equipment, though you might want to check with an Ariens dealer about parts availability since they no longer market rear engine riders.

So far as the Craftsman goes, is there any possibility that you might be looking for other attachments to go along with it somewhere down the road? It being a lawn tractor, you may be able to locate other attachments like a dozer blade or snow thrower. This would be the advantage the Craftsman has over the Ariens.

In either case, be sure to talk to the seller. The first question being, why are you selling it? Then ask about maintenance records, if they kept any, and take them for a "test drive". Check things over and look at the dip stick, air cleaner, how clean it is over all. Take a peek under the deck and see what the blades look like, and look the belts over for cracks, splits or frayed edges.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help. I checked out the Craftsman tonight, seller seemed honest enough.....got price to $300, will pick up tomorrow afternoon. Seller of Ariens never got back to me. I did as much searching on both as possible, what a maze of ok,not ok,ok,not ok....ay-yi-yi...Well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow, when I give it a go.......my fingers are crossed.....to be continued...... Thanks friend for your response, I appreciate it. Will keep you updated.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Craftsman isn't a bad choice at all! Glad for you getting a good deal! Be sure and upload some pictures when you get home with it! :pics:

:wwp::pics::pics::pics:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Helllllllllllllllllooo000ooo guys !!! Been so happy, Craftsman purchase has been great !!! Had so much fun last weekend. ....took less than an hour to clean up leaves, compared to 8 hours with 3 adults and 2 kids manually!!! Even knowing there was still so many leaves left on trees, I couldn't help myself to want to get started.
Spent so much time at the welcoming page,I'm out of time here : (
Have so much more to share about my purchase, good, and scarey...and maybe ill get someone to take some pics when I get out on my new horse again this weekend, for some more welcomed yard work,lol
Happy Thanksgiving to All !!! Enjoy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple more questions. ...thatchers....tow behind or front mounted, which is the better one ? Someone has a Brinly tow model in $35 range.....Craftsman front mount,2 wheels in front, seller wants $75
2nd question, lawn sweepers....is that a logical purchase, or not needed seeing I already have a bagger ? Thanks as usual, and again, Happy Thanksgiving to all

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
The tow behind thatcher would probably be easier to work with. Lawn sweepers are okay, but you still have to bag the stuff. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help.....tow behind it is......no bagging here, I have some woods and a creek in back of property, we just dump out back and let it mulch : )

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Now I'm jealous! We don't have enough space to do that with all of our leaves; we have to wait for the municipal vacuum collector and leaf bag truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Bagged" a Brinly de-thatcher, and Craftsman aerator this past week ...total cost $60.....now just need the rain to stop, so I can get back to work : ) Thanks again for your help and input. Hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving !!!
PS: I even bought a couple of Craftsman tshirts, so I'm good to go as soon as the weather cooperates lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts