My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MTD honda lawn mower (Model # 12AV55DQ713) with GCV190 engine. It won't start. I first identified the problem in fuel flow. The fuel line is clogged somewhere by taking off the
bottom bolt on the carburetor, no gasoline is flowing out. I can start the engine with starter fluid.

Since the fuel line to the carburetor got stuck I couldn't take off the fuel line from the carburetor, I bought new carburetor and fuel line to replace them both at the same time. After installing everything back with the new carb and fuel line, I checked that gas is flowing out this time from the bottom of the carburetor. This means at least there is a correct flow of gas to the carburetor from the gas tank after the initial repair.

I was expecting the engine to work, but when I tried to start the engine, again I found only the starter fluid works. The engine won't start by itself. I am now out of ideas what's causing the engine not starting.

Additional facts and questions,
1) the carburetor gaskets are out of shape, 2 of them are slightly teared when taking them from old carb to the new carb. They are just teared. How serious is this?
2) I checked the spark plugs, it looks okay, also I thought if I can start the engine with starter fluid, the spark plug in theory should be okay?
3) the carb choke closes but not like a perpendicular (complete?) close in the carb, is this normal? It closes with a slight slant.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi eaxebx - welcome to the site
Sounds like you identified the original problem pretty quick. First thing is to go over your repair work to see it you missed something. What ever you touched, look at it again. I would be suspicious of debris in the tank. If it starts and runs somewhat normal after a ether blast, I would thing something might have plugged what the lowspeed / start / idle curcuit of the carb.When you pull the carb off, drop the bowel and look for sediment that may have come from the tank.I would replace the gaskets to assure myself that a sneaky problem like this is not cause by the gaskets. When ordering gaskets, get OEM, they well fit correctly. I had a "import" carb kit where the O-ring gasket did not fit right. Also look at the gaskets carefully. They may be "directional" where certain holes must line up with holes / ports on the carb for proper fueling.
Double check the choke arm / linkage. Make sure the linkage isn't binding, bent or dragging on the connection points. Flip it with you finger to see if it opens and closes freely and repeatedly. Post a picture of it if it stiff doesn't look right to you.
I would agree with you on the spark. If it starts and runs after a ether blast, the ignition is probable good. But, if it is black and cruddy, it's time for a new one.
good luck, post back if you fix it and what you found.
Happy Thanksgiving

1 - 2 of 2 Posts