My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hopefully someone can end this nightmare! A spring broke on my Toro LX426, model# 13AL60RG048. The spring keeps tension on the brake/drive pedal. I have ordered the part twice from my local dealer and twice the wrong spring was shipped. I tried ordering direct from Toro , they told me the part I needed and they also shipped the wrong spring. Here is the problem: In all the schematics and drawings, there are nearly 10 "spring extensions", all labeled as spring extension but part descriptions do not say what the springs are for. Unless you can decipher the drawings, it's a crapshoot as to what spring you'll be sent. My mower has been sitting for near one month over this what should be a simple part to order. Any help would be very much appreciated. FYI, the spring that broke measures approx 6" from the tip of the hook/bend to the tip on the other end and approx 5/8" in diameter.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
We run into crap like this a lot in the appliance repair business. Bad OE number crosses to substitute number, wrong part in the box etc. What we end up doing with some success is taking a digital photo of the part laying along a ruler showing the exact dimensions and sending an email to them. The real trick is getting a hold of the right person that can physically (and is willing) to go out in the parts warehouse, pull parts off the shelf and measure and compare the part to the photo until they find the right one.

Did you try using the Toro parts viewer already?

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en

Looks like reference #69 Part #112-0348 is the spring your talking about?

I found the above in the "Transmission, Brake and Traction Pedal Assembly" exploded view and part listings. Here's a picture of it with a size grid behind it:

Extension Spring 112-0348 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark. Yeah I noticed in the parts viewer a lot of mismatches, and also a few letters in the mix that don't make much sense to me. Part# 112-0348 is close but might be a bit too long. I should just buy every spring in the diagram and if I get the right one finally, I can return the rest lol! The one I did order is part# 112-3746, which is defenetely not the right one. The old spring broke at the very end where the hook is. Last night in a feeble attampt, I took a torch to it, got it red hot and made a new bend/hook in the end, we will see if that works. Now the reqally hard part is figuring out which end goes where. I should make it easy on myself and remove the entire tractor cover but not sure how involved that is. Otherwise it's done mostly done by reaching up there and feeling around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally found the correct part. It is # 112-5991. Now if I could just figure out where the end of it hooks on to. Diagram shows it attaching to the idler bracket but I don't see a hole in the end of the bracket as shown in the diagram

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
It's an interesting setup for sure. After staring at it for a bit trying to figure out why it had about 3 more pulleys and a second belt to what I'm used to seeing on mine it dawned on me it must be a single speed transmission and the speed is controlled by the belts. Sure enough, MTD CVT drive. :D

TractorData.com Toro LX426 tractor information

My grandfather had a well worn Dayton (MTD) rider 30+ years ago on the farm with that type of drive setup. Pretty darn slick when it worked but a real barrel of fun when it needed repairs. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts