My Lawnmower Forum banner

Need help identifying a Ryobi weedeater w/ 2n1 trimmer-brush cutter head

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  wh23g3g 
#1 ·
I'm fixing a weedeater/trimmer for my father. He lost the trimmer line spool and screw. The model number on in it is RY251PH-090333019. I pulled it up on Ryobi and on parts tree but it only shows the power head and engine. So I looked at another later RY251PH model that showed a single gear head with a trimmer head. I thought that was it so I went ahead and ordered the complete trimmer head. Now I see it won't work because the one I have is 2 in 1. It doesn't come apart or I can't see how to get it apart. The one I have has a brush cutter blade and then a trimmer head attached all in one. I can't seem to find a model like that so that I can order the right parts. It works great just lost the trimmer head. Does anyone have one of these particular Ryobi models? I saw the expand it add on brush cutter options but this already has that plus a trimmer all on one head.

#3 ·
Not quite. It does have that brush cutter blade. But it looks identical to this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-Toro-Straight-Shaft-Brush-Cutter-Trimmer-Head-Gear-Box/163704548414?hash=item261d8d2c3e:g:jNcAAOSwiJVc6B3f except that above the trimmer head that brush cutter blade is also on it. The brush guard is held on by those three screws on the back. I can't even find a brush guard like that. It's also unlikely that my father ever switch anything out on this because he wouldn't know how to do it. So it's the way it came. It has a date on the emission specs label of 2018.

#5 ·
Yes thanks. That's exactly what it looks like but it definitely says R251PH as the model number and it says it's Ryobi. I know my father hasn't changed anything on in. I cannot figure out how to remove the part# 38 so I can replace it. There is the #39 retainer on it that I can't get anything under to cut it off with. It's a strong retainer. I also don't know how the #37 spool shaft comes off. If it's left hand thread or right hand thread. I've been fighting with it all night. But I guess I need to remove that retainer before anything. I may have to cut it with a dremel because it's so tight to get it with some cutters.

#7 ·
I have one of those from a 790R. Clockwise to remove the trimmer head in order to install the brush cutter blade. There should be a hole in the side just below the trimmer head to stick a tool in to hold the shaft from turning to remove the trimmer head. It may be very tight as running it tightens it on the shaft. One of those rubber strap oil filter wrenches works wonders to get enough leverage to twist it loose. That retainer under the trimmer spool does not need to be removed. That is only if you need to replace the housing or related parts. Easiest way to get that retainer off if you ever need to is thread a left hand thread bolt in the shaft where the bump knob goes to protect the threads. Center the housing over the partially open jaws of a vice or a couple of blocks of wood and give the shaft a good rap with a hammer. The shaft should drive right out. The retainer should not be reused. Hope this helps. Bill

#8 ·
I tried everything. It doesn't appear to be rusty. It hasn't been sitting out in the rain. I tried turning it that way but maybe I'm not sure what I should be trying to turn. I see the hole to lock it in place. Mine has both the blade and the trimmer spool on it all at once. According to the manuals I see it doesn't appear they should be both on at the same time. Maybe that's causing the issues. I've put so much force going clockwise trying to break it loose that I thought maybe I should be turning it the other way. Am I suppose to be trying to loosen the part# 37, the spool shaft? Because there's nothing to grab onto.

#9 · (Edited)
Part #37 shaft is recessed into part #38 spool housing with the hex part of the shaft and it is retained in part #38 with a retainer, part #39. The entire trimmer head should spin off clockwise, rightey loosey, from the trimmer. Perhaps a picture showing how everything is put together. And you are correct, the string head and the cutter blade are not used at the same time. Not exactly sure what you have going on. If you are still having problems let me know and I will get mine on the bench and disassemble it with pictures to help you out. Bill

I am attaching a video showing the removal and installation of the trimmer head. Not exactly the same but the same principle. You can see how to lock the shaft from turning. Also after the trimmer head is removed you can see how the hex shaft in the trimmer head is recessed in the spool housing and how the spool shaft threads on to the trimmer gear box.

This may also help. Link to download owners manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/143435/Ryobi-790r.html?page=9#manual

#10 ·
Fortunately I was able to break it loose using some heavy duty vise grips without damaging the spool housing too bad. It doesn't look any worse than it was. It was on extremely tight. I had to whack it with a hammer to break it loose. It doesn't help that I don't have a vise. I don't have anything solid enough to mount a vise. I saw how the spool shaft hex head is kept in place of the spool housing using that retainer. Under that there was the washer with the directional arrow on it and that was it. So I saw what I needed to order and ordered everything for it last night. Unfortunately I couldn't find a LH thread flange nut or any LH thread flange nut at the store so I had to order the oem one to hold the brush cutter blade on. I had to order the PAL nut, the bump knob, spring, and trimmer string w/ housing. Not even sure what that PAL nut is. Looks like a retaining washer. About $40 worth of parts plus I couldn't find a new brush shield. The one I have is cracked badly. Hoping it will go on easily when I get everything and works right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.