My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a new electric clutch on my mower and have started it twice with no issue. However, the third time it wouldn't even turn over. I knew the battery needed replaced, being nine years old, so I put a new one in it, after bringing it to a full charge. It still wouldn't turn over and was making a rapid clicking sound when attempting to start it that sounded like a starter engagement gear that is too worn to actually catch and rotate the flywheel. I took the starter to a re-build shop in Hilo, they tested it, inspected the brushes, and told me there was nothing wrong with the starter. I re-installed it and the mower did the same thing. This time, I put my hand on the starter solenoid as the rapid clicking was going on and discovered the clicking was coming from the solenoid. I went back to town, got a new one, put it in, and the thing is still not starting, just making that rapid clicking noise from the new solenoid. At this point, I'm out of ideas. Can anyone give me some experienced ideas as to where to go from here?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While waiting for a response to my post, I decided to take the shroud off the top of the engine in order to check continuities. In the process, I noticed that the starter engagement gear was meshed with the flywheel instead of being retracted. I got hold of the flywheel and moved it enough to free the starter and the gear dropped back into position. I tried starting it again and it started right up. So, I put everything back together and started and stopped it a few times with no issue at all. I then took it out into the yard to make sure the new clutch was working right, which it was, and sighed a huge sigh of relief. It would appear that the starter and flywheel were not playing well together and have since made up. I have no idea what that was all about, nor do I care. Issue resolved and I can get back to the car.

· Registered
135 Posts
The rapid clicking is the solenoid not staying engaged. Since you replaced it I would think it either is not receiving enough power or a bad ground on it. The power comes rom the ignition switch. Remove the connector and clean all the contacts, switch and connector. Could be a bad switch. If not the power then remove the solenoid and clean the location that it bolts to. Clean both of the battery connections. Follow the black battery cable and clean where it mounts to the frome or the engine. Make sure the 4 engine mounting bolts are tight. Best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts