My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Its me again.

I need help choosing the correct alternator. My previous problem dealt with the battery dying early. Well it seems that there is no alternator on the engine, and i was not aware that these engines came with one.

I have been going thru manuals but i haven't been able to figure out which alternator i need. The stator coming from the engine does not have the end connector so i will need to splice that part together.

Here is my engine:

Model: 281707
Type: 0415 01

I went here but not sure which piece i need...

Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 351447-0415-01

Your help is welcomed!

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Just to make sure I understand,

You have the stator coil Ref# 474 and the wires to it coming out from under the shroud. But what you need is the regulator Ref# 501?

Looks like from the video your tractor is Sears. If you can find a Sears model tag on it you can enter that model# in Sears Parts Direct and it might tell you which regulator was used in that model.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

The other option would be to pull the shroud and the flywheel and see if there are any numbers stamped on the stator itself that match up with the part numbers at the link you provided.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,

I gave you the wrong info. Here is the correct model for the engine and parts.

http://www.trianglelawn.net/pages/OemParts#%2fBriggs_%26_Stratton%2f281707-0415-01%2fAlternator_Chart%2f281707041501%2f8987004AB

I went to Sears parts but they dont list the engine model i have.

I went here but it does not tell me what the amps are to be able to get the correct part.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/en...rated-parts-lists/?modelnumber=281707-0415-01

If i had the proper akps i should be able to get the right alternator.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
...I went to Sears parts but they dont list the engine model i have.
Yeah, I found that out too when I looked last night. That's why I was hoping maybe you still had the Sears tag on the frame or around the seat with the ###.##### actual Sears model number for the tractor. Makes it really rough when you have missing parts like that and there are multiple parts used on the same model engine.

If i had the proper akps ...
akps?

Sorry, late at night and my mind is a blank what the abbreviation stands for. :confused:

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Only engines I recall with a starter but no alternator are smaller lawnmower and snow blower engines. Some had 120V starters, others used an AC to DC wall adapter to charge the battery.

Since you have a battery box and also those exploded parts views showed a stator I would say yours likely had one. One work around until you get it sorted out would be to buy a small battery charger / maintainer and plug it in when not using the tractor to keep the battery up. Off hand I'm not sure whether that engine requires a battery to fire the plug or not. (Some do and some don't.) But with a full charge and as long as you do not run headlights it should run the engine for a long time once you get it started if a battery is required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts