My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I found a deal on Craigslist last night, and to me it seems like a REALLY good deal. I have a 1.25ac lawn and this fits the ticket just perfect, so id like to know if you guys think this is a good deal for the unit with shown attachments and hours, or is it a deal where i should run and hide far and fast. Heres the listing.

John Deere 2002 LT160

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Look at the oil, is it clean or dirty with metal? Look at the air filter, is it clean, filled with crud or oil? Look at the deck, is it worn dented up and rusty, does it have grass built up under it? Look at the frame, is it welded from a repair, does it have fresh paint in an effort to hide repairs. Is everything straight like the frame and the plastic panels or does it look like it fell off of the back of truck while unloading it? Check the tires for wear and dry rot, they'll cost you for replacement. Look at the wiring, make sure its not spliced and taped everywhere from damage or safety equipment bypassing. Look at the blades, are they new or old, are they bent, if so you may have damage to a spindle.

Make sure you give it a test drive and listen to everything for odd noises from wear on anything (pulleys, spindles engine noises etc.) Try everything out! run the mower, drive it in all gears or run fast and slow to see how the transmission runs. look for excessive play in the front end for worn bushings and ball joints.

Inspect the implements as well. the bagger for holes, parts missing etc.

Most of all if you have a bad feeling or bad vibe about something, trust your gut! I'm sure theres other stuff to look for but thats what I can come up with in a hurry.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look at the oil, is it clean or dirty with metal? Look at the air filter, is it clean, filled with crud or oil? Look at the deck, is it worn dented up and rusty, does it have grass built up under it? Look at the frame, is it welded from a repair, does it have fresh paint in an effort to hide repairs. Is everything straight like the frame and the plastic panels or does it look like it fell off of the back of truck while unloading it? Check the tires for wear and dry rot, they'll cost you for replacement. Look at the wiring, make sure its not spliced and taped everywhere from damage or safety equipment bypassing. Look at the blades, are they new or old, are they bent, if so you may have damage to a spindle.

Make sure you give it a test drive and listen to everything for odd noises from wear on anything (pulleys, spindles engine noises etc.) Try everything out! run the mower, drive it in all gears or run fast and slow to see how the transmission runs. look for excessive play in the front end for worn bushings and ball joints.

Inspect the implements as well. the bagger for holes, parts missing etc.

Most of all if you have a bad feeling or bad vibe about something, trust your gut! I'm sure theres other stuff to look for but thats what I can come up with in a hurry.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-Oil was clean - has it serviced every spring
-Air filter looked good - replaced every spring at service
-Deck was solid and clean, some build up under deck, not much
-Frame appears good - no fresh paint in effort to hide anything - 2 small cracks at bottom corners of "foot rests" just below where hood closes
-all panels are clean, straight, tight, no gouges or cracks
-tires look like new, absolutely no cracking visable to me
-wiring is all good, only bypassed wiring was for seat shut off
-blades look good, were replaced last year or year before along with battery
-test drove both forward and reverse (automatic trans) and engaged blades, everything felt and sounded good.
-wasnt able to check front end for play as we didnt jack it up, however i saw no excessive wear on tires from bad or loose parts up front.

the guy was very straight forward, explained history of mower, said how long he had owned it and how much he had used it. told me it needed serviced this year yet and could use an automatic transmission service. Also pointed out the only broken/missing part was the rubber strap on bagger that holds top plastic piece down against the top of the catch bags. bags were dirty but were in good condition, no visible holes or worn spots, not even where plastic rubs against bags. started and ran well, drove straight and smooth. Idled well at both low RPM and high RPM idle, no surging or stalling when engine warmed up.

he took time to show me how the front dethatcher and rear bagger all comes apart and goes back together, got both user manual and model brochure.

I went ahead and purchased the mower, i felt that with his explanations and my check over everything i could check all looked good i decided it was a well maintained and solid unit. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys!

anyone know where i can find that bagger hold down part? looks like it was just a rubber strap type hold down.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I wondered if you had bought it. I tried to look at the CL listing before scrolling down and reading the rest of the thread and saw it had been deleted. Congrats on your find. Sounds like the previous owner took care of it, and it was great that he took the time to go over it with you.

You can look up your machine on the John Deere parts catalog and get the part number. With that in hand you can search online for the best price, or use it to visit your local dealer, who just might have it in stock at a good price too. Another benefit to buying from a dealer is that with a used machine, it gives you the opportunity to meet and start building a good relationship with the dealer, which is important when it comes time for service.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Yes, congrats! Glad everything was in order. You'll have to let us know how she does when you run it around the yard a few times. Also, in the interests of safety, you may want to repair or reconnect the seat (Operator Presence) switch. :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Yes, congrats! Glad everything was in order. You'll have to let us know how she does when you run it around the yard a few times. Also, in the interests of safety, you may want to repair or reconnect the seat (Operator Presence) switch. :2th:
The most important thing is the seat safety, my neighbor took the switch out on the one we built him. He started it without sitting on it, almost slammed into his Camaro! :(

Reactions: motorhead12

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i tried looking last night on the parts thing in the john deere site and i found nothing.....maybe you guys can help figure out what the part is? it was a rubber strap of some sort that held down the black plastic top half of the bagging system on top the bags. I just couldnt find it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmmm nope, on the hopper top diagram i need an image of the back of the hopper top, where you lift it to remove gabs. only image it shows is the side that faces the seat of the mower. if i get out there tonight ill try and snap a picture of the exact part im talking about.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I suppose it's possible that John Deere changed something and it's not included in these diagrams, which are the only views I'm able to find. Looking at the parts diagram again, and reading the description, part #5 is labeled latch, and parts 4 and 6 seem to be the bolt and nut that hold it in place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys, so i stopped at the house tonight and snapped a pic of the broken bagger latch, i also tried looking for a part number for the bagger assy but found nothing. Also, i do believe i MAY have found the correct latch for the bagger assy i have on my mower. Heres a pic of broken latch and a pic of possible correct replacement latch. Pic of broken latch below in attachments

Replacement Latch

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Looks like you've found your latch. Being in central Iowa, there must be John Deere dealer practically in site now matter which way you turn that can get one of those for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts