My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and I look forward to the expertise of all the members.
I have just purchased a home with 12.89 acres of very flat land. There are 6 acres fenced as pasture for horses. The pasture is also grass that has been well manicured in the past. There is a gate large enough to fit any size mower through.The rest of the property is open and flat.
I have been advised that a zero turn will be my best choice for speed and nice finish. The previous home owner also used a ZTR to cut the property.
I have the following dealers in my area: Gravely, Kubota, Exmark, Hustler, and John Deere. There are also big box stores, but I have read enough in this forum already to know that's not where I want to go.
I would like to keep my budget at or below $7500 plus tax (if that is possible).

Now, the questions I have are as follows:
What brand or brands do you recommend - most bang for the buck?
What model, size, horsepower, etc.?
Any input will be helpful! I appreciate your time.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I'm partial to the (Commercial) John Deere Z810A with 48" deck. It has a 22hp Kawasaki engine. It has done a great job with no problems for the past 5 years. I use it to mow @ 5-7 acres and usually under 1 tank of gas. I have a "multi-terrained" property with obstacles. I would go with a wider deck if I had less obstacles. It was in that price range back when new.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Those are both good brands. A big thing to consider is the individual dealer. Getting a helpful dealer that will work with you and honor warranty claims without being a jerk about it is almost as important as getting a good mower in the first place.:2cents:

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
The Kubota is an awesome machine , they also offer diesel and natural gas , unfortunately I do not think you can touch one for $8,000. I would stay away from Exmark , they are another company (like Lawnboy) that was purchased by Toro , most likely to lower the quality so the Toro machine gains ground on the competition. Not many Hustlers in my area so I have no opinion on them. Nobody carries Scag in your area ? If there is no scag dealer I would go with the Gravely ... with a Kawasaki 25hp 60 inch deck .. you may be over your price range with that also , commercial machines are not cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the great advise. I think I have it narrowed down to two great dealers that are offering good deals. Please give opinions.
The hustler X 1 - 2013 model brand new with 5 years 500 hour warranty. 60" cut with 27 hp Kawasaki engine. $8300.00
Xmark lazer z E series - 2013 model demo unit with 30 hours. 4 year 400 hour warranty. 60" cut with 24 hp engine. $8500.00
Both mowers retail over $10k. The hustle is a little faster both by specs and driving them. The hustler has a larger fuel tank as well.
I am really leaning toward the hustler but want to hear feedback. Thank you all in advance.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Sorry to be so equivocal, but I think those two mowers are on a par. They're both full commercial machines and are very good quality. I would say that you should go for whichever one you personally like better. I don't think that you can go wrong either way. :2cents::ThumbUp:

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
My answer is based only on what the majority of the landscapers in western Pa use ... and that would be the Exmark Lazer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My answer is based only on what the majority of the landscapers in western Pa use ... and that would be the Exmark Lazer.
I think they would both be good....but 90-95% of the lawn care pros here use Exmark as well. But Hustler is good, also. I would try to demo them! :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most around here use exmark or hustler, but I think thats mainly because they are the two closest dealers. Almost all the farmers around here that have a lot of grass to mow use Grasshoppers. And when I was out in Detroit this summer training for work, almost every landscaping trailer I saw had a toro ztr sitting on it, so I think most preferences have to do with what dealer is the closest. I say just pick which ever one you like the most, looks like all your choices are quality new ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned and operated a few Gravelys and haven't disliked any of them. I actually have a couple for sale. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

Keven

1 - 12 of 12 Posts