My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my brother in law passed away last April and my wife got his land, house, etc. After his death, I drew the task of keeping the yard up and such and he had a craftsman 46" mower. Well, it has come to the day to look for a replacement due to a steering problem and the fact that replacement parts are no longer available, at least the one I need. It also needs an new ignition switch, new starter. Already put a new coil on it. So, given that the yard is approximately 2 acres plus, and the fact we don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a new one, what is our best bet? Don't want to buy someone else's problems but can't afford a 3k mower either. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.

It sounds like you've exhausted your search for replacement parts for the one you have and are ready to move onto a newer model. If you have dealerships in the area, you might want to take a look at what they have to offer. They may be able to steer you in the right direction on a new machine that fits your needs and budget. Brand new would of course carry a warranty for you, but they may also have used available that has been serviced, and still carry a limited warranty for you, but at a more reasonable price.

Of course, there is always Craig's List. I'd recommend looking for something with a well known name. Looking at a site like tractordata.com, the lawn tractor section, might be helpful in finding information about machines that may fill your needs. They'll list things like engine sizes, attachments and years of manufacture.

Other members here can help out in telling you more about what to look for, and to look out for in picking something good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, my distributor said NLA since 2007, I found the same ones on e-bay
as bwdbrn1 did. I parted out a newer tractor on e-bay a few years ago, and did real well, I might have to start on older models too, especially since the parts are being phased out.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I'd say keep it if you can, install the necessary parts like the guys found and run it into the ground. :ThumbUp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts