My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to buy a mower. The one i found was a $675 1999 ( i think, check the CL listing) 16 HP Kohler Command 38" deck Hydro (pedal). Everything works well and the mower started immediately in choke and then to normal. Mower well also. The seat has a rip and the headlights are missing.

I do like that it has a circulating oil pump or what that is called and you can easily change the transmission fluids. The turning radius is also pretty good.

I talked him down to $600 but i dont know if I am overpaying for this mower still.

SIMPLICITY BROADMOOR 38" 16HP

Any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, as a fun little bonus someone wanted to sell me a working 3110 cavlier for 120 dollars. (jump on it?)

Thanks,

BelgianBillie

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Might be a little on the high side but depends on the area you are in as well. The Cavalier sounds like a fun little project, as I like the little rear engine riders "RERs" Depending on condition like completeness does the engine run or at least turn freely, deck complete, and condition like holes from sand blasting or rust. Tires too as they are @ $30-$50 each for the rears and @ $15 $30 for the front. May try counter offering $50 $75.
For a project keep in mind what you want to do with it, keep it or sell it. If it's a keeper for collecting then cost goes to the way side, if it's a resell then it's all about the costs that go into repairing it. I just seen a running, complete one for sale for $300 when I googled it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much would you suggest I pay for the broadmoor then?

He seemed to feel it was worth a lot more. I do not know much about lawnmowers though.

If I had to give him fair value, what would you suggest based on the pictures on CL? I think overall the mower looked good. When disengaging the deck there was a bit of a wheezing sound, but that is probably just because the rollers have not been oiled? (sound of belt coming to standstill.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Used riding mowers (In fair to good condition) unless they are the collectible types usually run in the $400 to $500 range. I got $600 for a beautiful Craftsman recently but it was complete and detailed to the max and everything worked.
That sound you hear "could" be bad idler pulleys on the deck. They are usually non serviceable, when they go, they go. The sound "could" also be the sound of the spindles (the part that the blade attach's to with a pulley on top) getting ready to go as some of those you can grease but some you can't. Those can get a little pricey @$25 - $60 ea. (ball park)
For that price I would think it should be "complete" with no issues less some normal cosmetic wear. (Paint dull or a small tear in the seat, etc.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I probably shouldnt do it then.

Man, buying these mowers is hard. I like in WI and for people put their mowers up for 200 if they are broken. A lot of these broadmoors seem to go for 500-1000.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That's totally up to you, it just seems a little pricey for a '99 that has some issues and missing parts.
Maybe someone else may have some insight on those models in your area and will chime in shortly.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It sounds like the Broadmore is a nice machine from you describe. It may be a bit of a moot point to some, but the missing headlights is a bit of a turnoff, especially when you're paying that kind of money and would expect the price to reflect it some IMO.

Are there similar ones to compare it to listed in your area? It does seem to be priced on the high side but it may just be in the right ballpark if that is what comparable machines are going for in your area.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I'd side with Austen on the missing headlight issue. Where did they go? Just fall out or get knocked out. Is there any visible damage other than the gaping holes where the head lights used to be.

Check Craig's List extensively to see what comparable machines are being offered for.

Ask the owner of this one, and any other one you might go look at, if they have service records, who did the service, stuff like that. Listen to all the little noises and if something seems a bit strange to you, just simply ask the seller about it and explain, you're new to the game and don't know what things should sound like. Listen carefully to the sellers answer, and watch his body language as he answers.

Above all, have some fun with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up buying the machine for 500 dollars. I hope it works out ok :D.

I need to do a pedal adjustment though, as reverse goes faster than forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts